Toolbox comparison tests

Spoiler: Dewalt & Husky tied for first place. Kobalt came in last.

Reply to
HeyBub

:)

Reply to
Ron

They say "Husky Wins!" at the end, because it doesn't tip over when empty. Really? Who cares? Toolboxes is a good topic. Mainly because I feel like talking about it. I've had many, and have my own "homeowner's" view about them. Mainly, drawered toolboxes are only good for small stuff that doesn't hang well. Chisels, hacksaw blades, sockets, etc. But the molded cases socket sets come in are best for them. Likewise, tools with accessories are best kept in the original molded cases. My HF multi-tool and Dremel are examples. I also use some cheap Sears plastic toolboxes that I paid 5 bucks each for on sale. Pretty much like those tested, but at 1/4 the price. A couple got hosed when my son ran over them, but Pop Mech didn't run that test. Anyway, I only use them to store "special" seldom-used stuff, like pickle forks, dent pullers, etc. Still have a dwell meter, timing light, vacuum gages and other related stuff in one. That one is kind of pointless now. They just keep stuff out of the way, and in a go-to place. Here's my bottom line. One drawered toolbox big enough for your small stuff. Cheap boxes for seldom used stuff. Pegboard and nails to hang everything else you don't want on the work bench shelves. I keep drills, power sanders, etc on the shelves under my workbenches. How do you get tools to where you're working? Not by lugging around heavy toolboxes full of stuff you don't need. I use a carpenters box or a 5-gallon plastic pail. Yeah, sometimes I go back for something I forgot to bring. What's new?

Reply to
Vic Smith

Observations:

  1. Your HF Miracle Tool came in a case? Mine came in a cardboard box.
  2. Each Black Friday, somebody has tool boxes for .00. I usually get two or three. I use them to store a tool that has several parts: The HF Miracle Tool, a rotary dremel and all its bits, telephone butt set and attachements, power planer, etc. Each box has the name of the stuff it contains on a label attached to the end of the box. The boxes - I count six - are stacked on a shelf.
Reply to
HeyBub

Yep. High-end variable speed. The Tiffany version.

My Dremels also have cases that hold the accessories, all I need of them at any rate. Except the flex extension, which I keep in my drawered box. I don't label my cheap boxes, just go by weight. Only have 3 now, and one is empty.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I must have the Tiffany version of the Dremel.

Case holds Dremel, flex extension, engraver, circle cutting jig, and just about every bit, disk and drum I could ever need.

I returned some really old stuff to Lowes, used a couple of gift cards that I had been given and paid $15 out of pocket for the kit, including an engraver tool.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Nice, very nice. Next time I'll get that.

Reply to
Vic Smith