Toilet Tank Leaks When I Lean Back

The floor flange that the toilet bolts to comes in standard and offset. Offset is for those "oh hells" where the toilet is too close/far from the wall. If you can replace the flange, you can move the toilet closer to the wall.

Bob

Reply to
Bob S.

Mortimer,

You're suspecting that you might have put the seal on upside down and I'm wondering that also. The flanged side should go down. Is this the seal that came with the new toilet? The proper install is to put the flanged end down and then press down on the tank. It should end up touching the toilet with some down pressure. This is the proper point to tighten the bolts down to...but no more or you'll break the tank. Putting some silicon around the base is not really necessary as I prefer to know when there is a leak so I can fix it before any damage is done. If the seal is put on properly and the tank meets the toilet then it shouldn't lean backward under normal use. Of course, with enough back pressure anything will break but I believe it would take a lot. I believe it would be easier to break if the seal is not pushed down and the tank does not touch the toilet.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Reply to
Joey

Thank you for your helpful advice. As it turns out, I won't be needing it. I called American Standard and described the problem to their technical staff. It turns out it was a simple matter of torquing down the tank to the bowl a bit. I apparently was overly conscious of the instructions telling me to tighten it enough to seal but to be very careful not to crack the porcelain.

Now the tank is snugged down, the porcelain is intact, and I can relax while I take one of my legendary craps. Life is good.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in news:6YudnQJxoYyp2avYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

As the kids say today, "Well ain't that The Shit!".

Reply to
Al Bundy

Watching grandbabies take bath

Reply to