Toilet leaking from bottom (at base)

Hi all..

I've got a leaky toilet in the guest bathroom, that's leaking from the base. It doesn't seem to be any of the valves at the back, they are all dry. But I suspect it may be the wax ring (That may not have been the right shape when put in, or may have cracked due to the movement of the toilet)

Do you have any other suggestions ?

Thanks

-Sam

Reply to
User

You have to replace wax ring- do it soon before filthy water starts rotting out the floor. You know how? Turn off water supply, flush toilet, remove residual water from tank with small container/ rag. Disconnect supply line. If this is one- piece, you are ready remove bolts and lift- if two- piece you must first remove tank- you will need new tank bolts/ gasket(as well as wax ring, closet bolts, also check condition of supply line, replace if necessary). After you lift it, check condition of flange, replace if necessary, clean bottom of toilet and floor very well,final clean with rubbing alcohol, warm wax ring a little and apply to bottom of toilet- my bro, who does bathrooms for a living 20 yrs, insists this is better that putting it on floor first, where you may damage it when lowering toilet- he also says use 2 rings if you like to be sure of good seal. Get toilet as close to perfect level as possible, snug bolts, replace tank, supply line, caulk around toilet.

Reply to
Sev

If the pedestal could move after you installed it, would it not be a good idea to hire an expert plumber to reinstal it, and watch carefully?

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Since the horn of the toilet dumps directly into the pipe, even leaving the wax ring off completely shouldn't result in leaking water. You have another problem (probably a partial clog) *AND* a failed wax ring.

Reply to
Goedjn

Hi Sev.. Thanks for your reply.. I'll print this out, and ask the person who is coming tomorrow to replace it to look at it closely..

Since it was a newly installed toilet, either the general contractors didn't put in the right sized wax ring, or they didn't sit the toilet on right..

Thanks

Reply to
User

If there's a water stain on the kitchen ceiling (below where the toilet in the guest bathroom sits above the kitchen celing) then how can I tell how serious it is ? Ideally, I'd to cover it with some primer and paint, but not if it's already begun to leak in the sub-floor. How can I tell if the water has already begun to leak in the sub-floor, or it's just staying on the floor of the bathroom (where the leaking toilet is ) ?

Thanks again

Reply to
User

The only way to tell how much damage has been done is to remove the toilet and inspect under it. Any bad wood should be replaced prior to putting the toilet back. You might want to consider the new non-wax systems out, they cost a few dollars more and will prevent leaks if your toilet should rock or shift slightly. This seal or one like it is a mandatory item to prevent leaking (water & gas). When a proper job is done the toilet should not rock side to side any at all and it should be flush with the floor surface. Someone here suggested caulking all around the toilet base but I would suggest leaving the back side uncaulked. Reason--you want to know if it ever develops a leak right away, not after a lot of damage has been done. Good luck.

User wrote:

Reply to
Joey