toilet flange

I am tiling a bathroom - tiling over a concrete slab. The area round the toilet flange is messy. The concrete is chipped from the tackless strips and it's also higher than the rest of the floor. I pared it down as much as I could but it was EXTREMELY difficult to make headway in this particular area. There were a lot of composite bits in the cement making it very hard. Which also probably explains why the floor was left in such an uneven condition.

After my best efforts on the floor, the flange is higher on one side than the other. Is it important that the tiling rises to exactly the same level all around the flange? If so, can I rely on extra thick mortar to do this? If the tiling should be at the same level all around the flange, should it be level with the top of the flange, below it, or above it - or does it matter?

BTW, is it normal to have parts of a slab foundation contain little chunks of what look like pebbles and bits of marble. The concrete grinder was struggling to make any impression in this section of the floor.

Thanks.

Paul

Reply to
D'Olier

The "pebbles" are aggregate. Aggregate is what makes cement concrete. (Sand is aggregate too)

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH