To Charlie Bress: Piezo Ignition, etc. ?

Hi,

Thanks for info on recent post re piezo ignition on contemplated hot water heater. Appreciate it.

Have a pretty good understanding, think, regarding the piezoelectric effect.

But, am uncertain how it's utilized for these heaters.

Is it that when no heat is called for, the main gas valve is off, and there is also No pilot light.

Then, when heat for the water is called for by the therm, the main valve opens, and the piezo element provides the voltage for a spark ?

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something here.

How is the piezo "deformed" to provide the high voltage for the spark during normal operation ?

If you might describe the sequence op operation for me, I'd be most appreciative.

BTW: Is there still an always-on pilot light with this type of system, or is it as I described above ? Still confused, I guess.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

These things are common on gas barbecues. The device is made so that when you push the button it hits the element with a sharp whack. That generates a high voltage that in turn jumps across a spark gap that is in the gas flow. The resulting electric arc ignites the gas. I actually have two. One is on the gas grill, the other is built into a propane torch. Turn on the gas, hit the button, ignite the gas.. A lot easier to do than describe.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Reply to