Tiling Question

I want to make an outdoor island cook area. I have seen these framed up with metal studs and red metal, and then covered with WonderBoard, then tiled. There would be a backwall that would have a vertical mural on it made of tile scraps.

My question: How long will the Wonderboard and grout last? I live in Las Vegas, where it is dry most of the time. We do get some good rains, so I guess it would get totally wet about six to eight times a year, and thoroughly dry out between. I may put a roof or awning over it, but haven't decided yet. How long do you think the grout and wonderboard will stay in good condition? Will it improve greatly if I cover it from the rain? Any special types of grout or thinset that would be better for outdoor use?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I'd use Durock rather than Wonderboard and seal the grout with a good quality silicone sealer. Out doors you should consider resealing it every year or two. The sealant will also make it easier to keep clean.

This should last well beyond ten years, if properly cared for I see no reason for it to not last for 20 or 30 years. A quarter inch gout line and a good sanded grout would be my choice. I would not buy the grout from Home Depot.

The follow> I want to make an outdoor island cook area. I have seen these framed up

Reply to
RB

Forget that crumble board, I always use hardiboard and I always do it the best.

Reply to
Arts Hack Repair

ha!ha! nice try though! thanks for the vote of confidence.

hardiboard,wonderboard,durrock,permashield..........its all the same stupid!

Reply to
Dr Jack White

Living in SW Florida with lots of water, a better option for these outdoor islands is often a mansonry construction. Concrete block is easy enough for the advanced DIY job, no more difficult than metal studs and Durock.

That said, your issue is usually standing water, so if the surface drains well and the base area doesn't stand in water, you'll get quite few years out of it. A roof will obviously help this. Make sure your substrate is rock solid and you'll avoid most problems with this island.

Check with your tile supplier for a good grout, it really depends on the tile you choose and the spacing as to what may be available. Seal the grout on a regular basis to prevent problems with food staining. If you spill a lot, you'll enjoy a larger tile and fewer grout lines, but my personal preference is a pool mosaic, or 2x2 tiles for a counter. Might also consider a granite or other stone surface.

Good luck.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran