This Old [millionaires] House

Property tax.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

No.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

Income, too. Improvements you don't pay for (or are paid by others) are income for tax purposes. Had a situation a couple years where the IRS came after the owners of one of the "Show Houses" for the local hospital. Said the improvements were income and they had to pay taxes on it pronto, Tonto.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Status, increase property value and sometimes you find someone who really use all of it to cook up a storm. Some exclusive neighborhoods demand high end components or you're stuck not able to sell the house or sell at a much reduced price.

Wife was a professional cook so she could use every bit of it. You need to make the distinction that high end that has the looks but is not really commercial restaurant quality. Restaurant components in some cases could even be much cheaper than the imitations.

See that Asian lady on TV cooking something like 20 main dishes for a special feast with just one burner? She needs no stinking high end appliances, she doesn't even have a refrigerator. I better not remind my wife about that or I'll get frozen dinners for the next month.

I know someone who

Reply to
** Frank **

OK - that makes sense. This reminds me - I have to figure out a way to give someone $100,000.00 when I win the lottery next week, without their having to pay taxes on it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'm using a 12 year old electric range that's in perfect shape, and has only needed the burner sockets replaced due to corrosion. I'd rather have a decent gas stove, but this thing works beautifully.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

re: I don't think he knew much about home building, other than what the script had written down..

I was watching his painfully boring latest show - Home Again - the other day.

A crew was cleaning an aluminum sliding door that was pitted by the salt air in Florida.

Bob: So tell us, what are you using to clean the door? Worker: Well, Bob, it's basically a chemical compound that stops the corrosion and shines the aluminum. Bob: So it's basically a chemical compound that stops the corrosion and shines the aluminum? Puzzled Worker: Uh....yes. Me: Arrrggghhhh! Remote Control: Click!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

willshak wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

Ovwer time, I did too. That Sears w**re would always cut people off when they were talking. I hear he became a HSN w**re.

Reply to
Red Green

Gift you pay taxes, subject to all sorts of weird stuff, of course, we are talking about the IRS.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

jJim McLaughlin wrote in news:buednZbE098Pl4TanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I'm not a tax pro Jim but I've done a bit of them. Generally, I would guess they would get a 1099. I have seen a few, very few, exceptions. That's why places that "give" stuff away, raffles, etc. jack the max retail value way up if they can. This they can partially write off.

You win some tickets on the radio and come the end of the year don't be surprised if you get a 1099. They don't care if you report it or not. CYA so they can write off a percentage. Saw that personally with a relative.

Just my .02, and that may be an inflated amount :-)

Reply to
Red Green

Actually, the part I saw that was pretty kewl was the plaster wall repair w/ the adhesive behind the wall to stick it to the lath again and the plastic-washer screws into the lath to bring the section back into solid contact. Hadn't seen that before.

The real advantage of it imo, being in a small market area where new technology is slow to arrive (if ever) is the number of products they demonstrate that are clever solutions that are new (at least to me)...

--

Reply to
dpb

Yes, I thought that was pretty remarkable, too. Holy cow, the patience it would take to do that over a very extensive area, though...wow.

Jo Ann

Reply to
hillacc at yahoo.com

anZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

re: You win some tickets on the radio and come the end of the year don't be surprised if you get a 1099.

Many years ago I worked part time at a bank - 1 day a week. The branch won an all-inclusive 4-day trip to Aruba for each employee and a guest.

At the end of the year, I got a 1099. When I did my taxes, the value of the trip accounted for almost 2/3 of my gross income for the year.

I guess it was worth it - I walked a girl to her class at college, I took her to lunch, and then I took her to Aruba. Our third "date". 4 kids and 24 tax returns later, we're still together.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

innews:buednZbE098Pl4TanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Good for you! :-) I love love stories.

Reply to
willshak

I remember watching Bob V. making kitchen cabinet boxes with a table saw (yup, Sears) on one of the earlier shows. Bob actually got his hands dirty (Gasp!).

Web Site:

David Starr

Can you describe this in any more detail? This sounds like something I could use.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

I imagine it will be on the TOH website. In essence, they drilled many small holes in the wall all along the areas of plaster cracking, then injected an adhesive into the holes (with a caulk gun). Then, they drilled in screws with attached large, round, plastic washers, which pulled the lath and plaster into contact with each other. You could see the adhesive squirt out the holes as the plaster and lath were pulled together. After allowing the adhesive to dry, they removed the screws/washers, skim coated the wall (is that the right term?), and when dry, it was perfect and ready to paint.

Jo Ann

Reply to
hillacc at yahoo.com

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@y27g2000pre.googlegroups.com:

"Guess"????? Boy I sure hope she doesn't read this NG! :-)

Hope you make 25 tax returns and many more.

Reply to
Red Green

David Starr wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Running them through a sawblade? (Norm pulls a funny on Bob and told him it was a "Hot Dog" saw. Yuk yuk.)

Reply to
Red Green

on 10/19/2007 6:44 PM Red Green said the following:

Norm was a craftsman. Vila was just an emcee.

Reply to
willshak