This Old House now more like Martha Stewart...

Latest one spent about half the show on a tour of a local high end Cambridge, MA specialty food store.

Nothing about homebuilidng of course -- rather just the dufus host sampling the "vine dried raisens", "gourmet Cuban coffee", pastries, cheese, etc. Thank god for Tivo but this is getting ridiculous...

I think my Mom knows more about construction than that joker does...

Reply to
blueman

Latest one spent about half the show on a tour of a local high end Cambridge, MA specialty food store.

Nothing about homebuilidng of course -- rather just the dufus host sampling the "vine dried raisens", "gourmet Cuban coffee", pastries, cheese, etc. Thank god for Tivo but this is getting ridiculous...

I think my Mom knows more about construction than that joker does...

Reply to
blueman

Yeah, I don't cry too much when I miss TOH any more. Other than the design and demo phases, not real interested in some yuppies pretentious million-dollar 'fixer upper'. The companion show, ATOH, is much more like the show used to be- real world problems, real world solutions. Getting hard to find the previous companion show, Mr. Abrams NYW, around here. I'm almost curious enough to get on the websites to see if they are even making new episodes of that one.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

think the show is mophing into the Victory Garden!

Reply to
evodawg

Their other show, TOH Classics, are hardly that at all. They are showing projects from like 2-3 years ago, when they should be showing stuff from 20 years ago. The other show, Inside TOH, actually looks back on some of the older projects when they talk about a certain topic on the show.

Reply to
Mikepier

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in resenting how This Old House has changed. I think Answer This Old House was designed to make up the difference. Anyway, TOH was special, and I miss it, along with Steve (Where is he now?)

I liked Hometime and its emphasis on doityourself in middle income homes. But that point of view has wandered all over the place, to shows on habitat, in offices, etc. The show is boring. I also especially miss Johnson's blonde coworker. Where is she now?

The world would be really better off if I was in charge.

Reply to
LDR

Heh, not the ones with Bob Vila. It was pathetic how he'd stand there running his mouth and then have Norm do all the work. Every so often you'd see Norm roll his eyes at Bob's antics. When I asked two of the ToH guys about this at show here in DC they busted out laughing. Apparently Steve got similar 'respect'. That and, yeesh, Vila's a hairy little short guy! Saw him at a Boston airport and it was like somthing outta Lord of the Rings.

One gets the impression the host "trades in" the women for new models every few years. Sorta pathetic now that it's happened so many times.

Reply to
wkearney99

Agreed, Vila is a twit. Is he still doing anything but commercials? I haven't seen his almost-an-infomercial 'Home Again' in several years. Steve was okay, but not great, and actually was a accomplished boat geek. He is hosting some history thing on one of the cable channels now. The new guy is annoying, but doesn't try to pretend he is anything but an amatuer. I liked the 'behind the scenes' show they did where they showed how he was hired. Methinks he supposed to be a stand-in for the viewers, to keep them feeling involved.

I can't remember the names offhand, but one of the previous ones (Joanne Liebler?) had her own show for awhile after that. I also miss the the one that just left- she was seriously cute, especially before the old lady hairdo. I did notice that toward the end, they were almost never on camera t ogether- makes one wonder if there was a feud. In the early years, the hosts pretended to be married, and that got a little tiring at times. But, Johnson is the show, so he gets what he wants.

Watch one of these shows, and you almost feel like you actually did something. (Sorta like watching football makes you think you got some exercise? :^) )

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers