Thinking of expanding foam for window opening insulation

Anything that reduces leaks is good. Low expansion foam won't bow trim. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Looking for ideas here. Yes,i know there is a wealth on the web.

Having almost finished painting the house, i noticed that there are openings around the window installations of 1/8" to 1/4" on the second floor.

I am thinking of filling these voids with low expanding foam as insulation -- product "Great Stuff". Besides being messy as hell, it seems like the ticket since i can't find pitch-soaked cord.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks,

FACE

Reply to
FACE

DAP-Tex, latex based low expanding foam, no odor, water clean-up.

Bob

Reply to
Robertm

Reply to
sleepdog

i used to follow advice of my brother the builder and put un fiberglass insulation using a putty knife, but i used foam on one house because i was in a hurry and it worked good.be sure to nail the trim on right away after putting the foam in cause it grows.. lucas

ds549

Thanks to all who responded. I will keep your advice and product ideas in mind.

(BTW, Sleepdog, I have been there on the expanding out from the finished area bit with the bay window and did use a utility knife to trim it flush before repainting.)

FACE

Reply to
FACE

Yes its messy. Theres a white latex version that is easier to work with (wipes off).

Reply to
Rudy

Thanks. Last time i did it without gloves....and had Great Stuff on my hands for a while. I think that lighter fluid finally cut it. I bought a can of that and put it in my toolbox for just that kind of special occasion. :-)

FACE

Reply to
FACE

Great stuff should work. I'd suggest wear gloves (sticks to skin and makes a mess). Also, fill the cracks about half what you think they oughta, since the stuff keeps growing.

Wait till it's totally dry, next day, and trim to shape with a utility knife or razor blade.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Or plan on slicing it flush with a razor blade.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon