Thermostat Location

I just bought a house that has a furnace located in the garage against a wall of my family room. The builders located my thermostat in the family room very close to where my furnace is located (on the same wall my furnace is against). I noticed in the model home, the thermostat was centrally located in the house in a hallway leading to the kitchen. Should I be concerned?

My initial thoughts were that since the vents in the family room will experience the least heat loss in the ducts, due to their close proximity to the furnace, the family room will probably be the warmest room in the house, and consequently the thermostat will gauge the house temperature to be warmer than it actually is (on average). Also, since the thermostat is right next to a door leading into the garage, every time the door is opened, the thermostat is going to register a cool temperature and the furnace is going to kick on leading to high heat bills.

Does anyone have any feedback that may help me? Should I have them fix this?

Reply to
Matt Oliverius

What you need to be concerned about, it location of the thermostat to a return... NOT a supply, but a return air grille..

Reply to
CBHvac

Matt:

MO> I just bought a house that has a furnace located in the garage against a MO> wall of my family room. The builders located my thermostat in the family MO> room very close to where my furnace is located (on the same wall my furnace MO> is against). I noticed in the model home, the thermostat was centrally MO> located in the house in a hallway leading to the kitchen. Should I be MO> concerned?

Possibly not. Would seem the thermostat should be located where the family's activities will generally be, so in the Family Room makes sense.

Here the thermostat is located in the hallway in the middle of the house -- the 'traditional' location but also happens to be almost directly over the furnace in the basement.

MO> be warmer than it actually is (on average). Also, since the thermostat is MO> right next to a door leading into the garage, every time the door is MO> opened, the thermostat is going to register a cool temperature and the MO> furnace is going to kick on leading to high heat bills.

That would be more of a concern. Moving the thermostat to the opposite wall would have made more sense.

  • Do dogs south of equator turn around counter clockwise before lie down?
Reply to
barry martin