Thermostat anticipator

I have a honeywell T8400C1024 digital manual thermostat and a mid-efficiency forced air furnace. They installation manual for the thermostat says the anticipator setting should be 6 which corresponds to

6 cycles per hour and .6 amp current for the 24 ts circuit. I admit this keeps the hour at a very comfortable consistent temperature. When the temp outside is -30 I have no problems with how it's functioning. Now when it's about freezing outside the furnace still runs 6 times per hour, but it only runs for a minute at a time. This seems like it must be rather inefficient. Any comments on energy efficiency? I've thought about turning the anticipator to 3, but I'm worried about damaging it. Also when it is very cold out it would definitely be less comfortable in the house. Thanks,
Reply to
Zu

Your fears seem unlikely.

  1. For information about fuel efficiency, you can probably consult the national testing laboratory for the country where you live, if you think the manufacturer will ignore your inquiry or provide falsified information.
  2. Do you think it likely that Honeywell would market a gadget with a particular setting that if used would damage the gadget?
Reply to
Don Phillipson

In a word, yes.

From the honeywell website: "I tried to install my thermostat and it started smoking. What do I do? If the thermostat has a heat anticipator, the smoke is caused by the heat anticipator burning out. This may occur if the heat anticipator is not set correctly prior to installation. Before installation, the heat anticipator setting must be set to the current draw of the heating circuit. Instructions are provided with the thermostat. If the heating anticipator is damaged then the you must replace the thermostat at your own expense. Damage related to incorrect installation is not covered under warranty."

Reply to
Zu

That seems very reasonable by Honeywell. I know for a fact that the information is in the installation manual. If someone tries to install it without reading the instructions, what do you expect?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan