Thermostat

Nobody should ever have to reprogram the thermostat! At worse, just turn off automatic DST adjustment entirely and manually adjust the clock on the thermostat at the same time as resetting all the other clocks in the house. Changing the clock time by an hour is generally easier than changing thermostat programming, and needs to be done at most twice a year.

Now, the change in DST dates will break the existing automatic DST compensation, and it would be nice if there was a firmware update to fix that, but that's not likely for a cheap device like a programmable thermostat. And how important is the feature, really?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

I was going to say that, but I guess he wants the house to get hotter at the last minute, just before he gets up for work, and unless one is a farmer, work seems to be dependant on the clock, not the sun.

Reply to
mm

Are you part of a domain? If so, there's a domain server that's used, and the time tab is deleted. This allows all computers in your domain to have the same, incorrect, time. ;-)

Reply to
Seth Goodman

I guess I just don't see why it's better to jump through hoops the change the thermostat's DST adjustment than to jump through nearly identical hoops to change the time the furnace comes on in the morning.

Reply to
Goedjn

I guess, because if he could change the former, it only has to be done once, unless the govt changes it again. With the latter, he has to do it twice a year.

Reply to
trader4

It's simpler still to just ignore it for the few weeks that the thermostat is out of sync with the new DST transitions.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Wrong.

Let's suppose someone has their heat pre-programmed to 70 deg in the evening, 65 overnight, and 70 again by the time they get out of bed, say at

7:00 AM. On March 11, they forward their clock so that when it reads 7:00 AM, the thermostat still thinks it's only 6:00 AM, and the temperature is colder than 70 deg, which defeats the whole purpose of having a digital programmable thermostat with discrete time/temperature pre-programmed settings.

The whole point of having a clock on a digital programmable thermostat is to take advantage of setting the temperature to different values at specific times of the day.

It takes 30 seconds to disable the auto DST adjustment feature, and perhaps

10 seconds, maximum, to manually adjust the time after that, two times per year.
Reply to
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis

Not really OT, but didja know that the "official" term used by governments to describe that time changing system is daylight saving time (with no "s" at the end of saving)?

But, I and most other people stick the "s" on, sort of like we tend to say ATM "machine" and PIN "number".

The gummints ought to just change the description to suit the way people feel comfortable saying it, huh?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia