Thermostat

Hi, I own a Honeywell Vision Pro thermostat. This thermostat has a built in timer with date. With the change in daylight savings time this year. Spring being moved up a couple of weeks & fall is being pushed back a couple of weeks. How can I program it for the new format the government implemented? Thank you Steven

Reply to
Steven

According to the Bush administration global warming does not exist, so why would such a change be necessary?

Reply to
West Alarm

Most likely you can't. Contact Honeywell (or whoever installed it for you) to find out for sure.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Reply to
Steven

It looks as though daylight savings time will be longer, but that ceratinly will not affect when Spring and Fall will be. The seasons are based on the orbit of Earth around the Sun.

You may have to contact the company to see how to deal with the change in daylight savings time. Hopefully someone here will know how to re- program the unit to accept the new dates. Good Luck.

-Felder

Reply to
Felder

I'd agree with steven,

I'd guess that the dates for daylight savings are pre programed into the stat, and could only be updated with a firmware upgrade, which would consist of someone hooking the uint up to a computer, and flashing its memory with the new dates.

I'm willing to bet that the stat has no way to be hooked up to a computer, outside of honeywell's factory, and so, I think you may be SOL

I've got one too, I just turned off the daylightsavings time auto feature, and adjust the time myself twice a year.

Reply to
Zephyr

As others have pointed out, you probably can't.

But I'm wondering -- what difference does it make? Both transitions occur at a time of year when you don't need to use your furnace *or* your air conditioner a whole lot. Is one hour plus or minus on your setback times really going to make that much difference in your comfort, for the few weeks that it will be out of sync?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Hi, Don't think it is possible unless there is a way of updating with new firmware(if it is available) and way of doing it.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It probably had eprom or plain rom chip in which case it cant be reprogrammed, and who ever said its spring or fall and you shouldn't be using furnace much, I guess it would depend on his location, norther minnisotta I bet he will still be using it a lot. Im still wondering if I will be able to get an update to my old computer bios's for new dates for automatic savings time updates. Or if its handled by windows itself.

Reply to
Jeff

You can't. If it has a feature to change the time automatically, disable it (instruction booklet tells you how), then take 10 seconds of your life two days a year and manually adjust the time.

Reply to
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis

Certainly it depends on location. You're right that in early April, if he lives in northern Minnesota, he'd still be using the furnace a lot. But if he lives in southern Georgia, he wouldn't be using it at all.

Point is that when the DST transitions occur, the furnace is not going to be used enough that one hour difference on the timing of the setback periods is really going to matter much for most people.

To the OP -- if that's not acceptable to you, put your old t-stat on eBay. I'll buy it.

Most recent versions of Windows allow you the option of synchronizing your PC's clock to an internet time server. Do that, and the DST transitions will be handled for you automagically.

For example, in XP, double-click on the time in the lower right hand corner. "Date and Time Properties" box appears. Click the "Internet Time" tab, then check the box next to "Automatically synchronize with an internet time server". Then click OK.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Sorry, no "automagic" DST transitions from the time servers. Internet time servers running the NTP protocol (the protocol used by that "Internet Time" tab) use UTC, leaving local translations for time zone and DST up to the local client system. As you're running Windows, you'll find these translations in your Control Panel, under "Date/Time" (aka, "Date and Time").

Reply to
Seth Goodman

DST changeover is handled by the OS. What OS are you running?

If it's a Windows System (which I assume by your phrasing), Windows XP or later will have an automatic update available from MS. Windows 2000

*may* have an automatic update - I've just read that the next round of MS updates may include an automatic update for W2K. If it's Windows 9x/ME/NT, you can get a manual tool, named "tzedit.exe", from MS to modify your registry settings for the new DST dates.
Reply to
Seth Goodman

Just set the damn thing to change temperatures at whatever time you want them to change. What difference does it make if the thermostat thinks that's 7 AM or 6 AM?

Reply to
Goedjn

My fault -- thanks for the correction.

Reply to
Doug Miller

What makes the difference is that if the thermostat thinks it's 7AM when it's really 6AM, the timing of the setback periods will be off by an hour. The OP wants to avoid having to reprogram his thermostat twice each spring, and twice each fall, to account for the thermostat not making the DST transition at the same time all of his clocks do.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Do you need to do anything to enable that capability? My Date and Time Properties box has no Internet Time tab, just Date&Time and Time Zone. Running WinXP Pro SP2.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

You may already have tzedit.exe in your computer, but if not, find a copy and download it, and run it. No installation is necessary.

It enables you to pick the weekend that DST goes into and out of effect, and uses the sort of definitions that the law in the US has always used. The 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th Saturday night in some month, you choose.

Reply to
mm

The user should disable the automatic DST update setting on the t'stat so they only have to manually adjust once in the spring and once in the fall.

Reply to
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis

There are plenty of shareware and freeware clocks that can be dl'd that will set the time for most OSes, but letting them change the time a whole hour will, for those few who care about it, distort the cumulative time discrepancy, that many of these clock programs keep track of.

I use Atomic Clock, or maybe it is Atomic Clock Sync, available at

. Hey, I was off 7 seconds. Like most, this program can be set to run every day, but I don't do that.

Reply to
mm