Ten foot long want to spray some kind of wood filler

I know everyone will say to just get a bigger ladder, but it would be easier (and cheaper) if I could just find a way to apply any kind of sealant (foam will do) into a 3-inch wide by about 1-1/2 inches deep hole that the birds keep making in the wood board just below the tile roof above the balcony.

The problem is the balcony and the overhang conspire to negate the use of anything but a forty foot ladder (which I don't own, as mine is only 32 feet which is far too short) or a scaffold. Due to the overhang, even a step ladder (which I do own) won't work. Anyway, I'm not asking about a ladder.

All I want to do is stand on the balcony and apply the sealant into the 3 inch wide holes the birds are making and yes I know I should replace the wood but that has the same problem of the 40-foot ladder and I want to keep costs to a minimum.

Do they sell a ten foot long "wand" that can apply some kind of sealant that will seal up a hole that the birds keep making?

Reply to
John Robertson

Does it have to be spray foam? How about using a length of wood with a balled up rag soaked in fiberglass resin or similar on the end that you could position into the hole and let it set up? Could maybe try the procedure with just a wet rag first, to figure it out, see that it looks possible. This would have the advantage that if you can't get it right, you may be able to bail on it. Foam, IDK, if aesthetics matter, seems more unpredictable to me and that's if you can figure out some way to do it. I guess if you have a true applicator for that intended purpose, it would be controllable, but I doubt you will find anything that long.

Reply to
trader_4

Lots are available from a simple google search - here's just one example :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

"...that the birds *keep* making"?

That seems to imply that you have managed to seal it up, at least temporarily, on multiple occasions. What have you tried that keeps failing?

And is it "holes" or "a hole". Just curious, since you've used both terms.

If the hole(s) go through the wall such that the birds can enter, how will you provide a backing for any type of sealant? Won't the e.g. spray foam just go into the hole(s) and behind the wood?

How about rigging up a way to hang this from the overhang in front of the hole(s)? Form and function. ;-)

My other thought would be to cover the hole(s) with some screening or wire mesh, affixed to the wall. I can explain a *possible* method for accomplishing that, but only if you think it's a viable option.

Epoxy, long poles, flat boards, wax paper, etc. Could be tricky.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Did you miss the whole "forty foot ladder" issue? Should he use a hammer with a 10' handle? ;-)

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Good job, so they do exist.

Reply to
trader_4

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Actually, the "forty foot ladder" makes me wonder what type of four+ story (storey in canada?) building John is working on, and whether it is feasible work from above rather than below.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

You don't own a 40' ladder and don't want to buy one that you'll probably only ever use this one time. I'm with you so far.

So what about renting the equipment you need to do the job right? One and done is usually the best way to go. Rent a ladder, scaffolding, or a cherry picker bucket truck and get up there to replace the failed wood board. Your foam approach isn't likely to last long, if at all.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Sure, and I have a 10' pair of pliers to hold it in place to start it. I'll lend them to him.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Not required...

Marilyn Manson

Which I noted in my first response.

Or is it lids? He said "hole" but he also said "holes". Still waiting on an answer to that question. "Holes" may mean "lids" which may mean a house looking like it has a case of the shiny measles. ;-)

Reply to
Marilyn Manson