tearing up muliple layers of tile that is up to 40 yrs old?

I was planning on painting my concrete floor after tearing up the carpet but now that i have torn some of the carpet up, I find that there are three layers of tile that I can count so far. What is my next option other than putting down new carpet?

Reply to
pacmomof10

pacmomof10 spake thus:

By "tile" I assume you mean linoleum tile, right?

Lessee, some options would be:

o Tear up all layers of tile, paint (lotsa work) o Carpet over tile o Lay floor tile (ceramic) over cement backer board over linoleum o Lay new linoleum after patching top layer of old linoleum o Lay OSB panels, sand and varnish (cheap & good-looking option)

Other folks can probably think of more.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Yes, I know the first two layers are linoleum but what is under that is unknown to me. I don't want carpet, cause I have dogs and it just too much work keeping the floor clean. One of my problems is there is chipped away tile in some areas and when i tear up the tack boards from the carpet I just pulled up, there will be damage there. what do i do with this problem and can I paint the floor instead of tearing up anything else and what would you suggest I use as a primer and so on? I want something that I can make original and of my own design with the new floor paints that are comeing out.

Reply to
pacmomof10

Old floor tiles and adhesive likely asbestos.

May be time to consult licensed contractor.........

even breaking it to remove tack strips can be a hazard..........

Reply to
hallerb

That turns a couple of hours work into a week long project that can end up costing thousands of dollars. Wear a respirator, scrape it up and bag it, dump it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I agree.

Reply to
scott21230

You mean breaking the asbestos tile can be a hazard? Well, yeah, I suppose a piece could fly up and hit you.

Reply to
HeyBub

Good advice indeed. The only asbestos that's a problem is 'friable'. Usually used to wrap an old furnace, lesser extent with piping. Floor tile with asbestos has the asbestos crystal matrix bound up as an integral unit, certainly not something you would be breathing, unless you start sanding, grinding, etc.

EXT wrote:

Reply to
Michael B