Tamper-resistant sheet metal screws (Pin type)

mm:

You win the prize----- You seem to one of the very few who have actually made an attempt to answer my question.

I honestly don't care how easy it is to get the tool. The inconvenience of driving to HF, or Sears, or ordering on the Internet is in itself enough deterrent. And as you stated, guys who love tools and / or likely to have the tool back at home, are not going to remove the screws or take it apart just for fun; but if they have a *need* they will get the tool and open it. Which is OK with me.

Thanks to all who replied.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Again

theres a wierd torx pin type used in prisons. i found out after attempting to move a security screen in a friends van. the security screen company admitted it was very high security and likely no one would sell me the tool.

so i ground off the heads.

apparently the pupeteer van was originally destined for police work...

i saw the same fastner when a cop gave me and my wife a ride after our vehicle broke down.

police car back seats are very cramped and not comfy...

that week all 3 of our vehicles died, the last ones transmission blew up ...........

Reply to
hallerb

I bought two sets at Micro Center and between the two of them I probably spent less than $20 and now can take just about anything apart. I picked up the pentagonal one from a sprinkler guy, that didn't come with the sets (that one I believe is also used on some waterflow switch covers)

nate

Reply to
N8N

Just about any sheet metal screw can become "tamper proof" if you fill the screwdriver insertion area with a dollop of epoxy.

Then, to remove the screw, you drill a small hole, insert a screw-extractor, and wind it out. You could probably even re-use the screw with another portion of epoxy.

Reply to
HeyBub

Pin in center fasteners are easily defeated with an automatic center punch. You place the tip of the punch in the space between the pin and drive surface, push and it will break off the the pin so a standard hex or Torx bit can be used. I remember seeing a fastener that had a head similar to a dome nut but without the flats. The head was not as tall as a dome nut, more like a round head screw but slightly out of round so nothing but the matching tool could grip it.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas