T&P valve installation?

Which explains why you either can't or won't give a helpful answer.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

quoted text -

Now it almost all cases, I believe in following the code. But if this were me, I'd just do it with the extra elbow, upsize the pipe if you like and be done with it. We all know it's not going to prevent the T&P valve from functioning.

It could possibly become an issue if the house is sold, during an inspection by the buyer or while getting a CO. But I doubt they are going to count the elbows. And if they do, it's a $5, 15 min fix. Just replace it with a 5 ft straight pipe that ends near the floor.

Reply to
trader4

so the tank is 18 years old and the T&P valve is bad.

if a leak can do real damage I would just replace the entire tank, its old and may leak after messing with the valve..

if a leak can do damage then change the tank entirely

Reply to
hallerb

yeah i too would upsize the line and add extra elbow. this isnt rocket science

Reply to
hallerb

Lesson learned hard way!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hmmm, Code or not, where is common sense?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, I don't know where you live, where I live T&P valve drain has to go to floor drain via copper tubing. Even PEX is not allowed per code.

18 old tank is also pretty done with. Isn't it time for new one?
Reply to
Tony Hwang

According to whom? I can show you plenty of authorities that recommend operating the T&P valve manually once a year, to be sure it moves freely and water comes out. I've seen it on instruction manuals for water heaters.

Once it's

I don't see by what mechanism just opening and closing it results in crud build up that wasn't already there. If you open and close it and it doesn't shut off completely, isn't it better to find out that way, then to have it open slightly on it's own, perhaps from slight over pressure, and then fail to seat? If I open and shut any valve once a year, is it destined to then fail?

Reply to
trader4

In short - yes. The T&P valves are particularly prone, but others such as old style expansion tank drains are also susceptible. Any time you open the valve you allow water to flow past it's seating surfaces and bring with it contaminants, particularly with a valve that is rarely operated where crud can build up immediately adjacent to it and easily end up on the valve seat when it's opened. That crud allows slight leakage, usually so slight that it isn't noticed, but continues to evaporate and deposit more crud around the valve seat and the problem continues to grow.

Reply to
Pete C.

Probably. However the Fabulous BeaterPorsche is due for a new front end soon (as in as soon as my new struts arrive, apparently being transported directly from Koni's factory in Holland by carrier snail,) and the HVAC guy is scheduled in two weeks to put in an A/C unit (house came without one, which is why we were able to afford the place.) Therefore, old tank will stay at least until the above expenditures are paid off. Plus it's a gas unit so I don't feel comfortable replacing it myself. A $16 T&P valve allowed me to keep washing clothes, cooking, and taking showers which are important parts of my daily routine :)

I'm contrary in that I do like to get the maximum possible utility out of an appliance rather than just replacing stuff "because it's old." If I replaced everything around here that was old, I'd have to start with everything in the driveway and work in :) (and I'd have to get an extra job or two...) Some call me cheap, but "frugal" has a nicer ring to it...

I do agree with the other comments that I'll probably just step up to 1" copper close to the tank and just do what looks right. I guess too many years of messing with fire alarms have made me a little to concerned about doing everything "to code."

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

wrote in news:1a566$471ac216$9440c41e$24539 @STARBAND.NET:

Why do you call yourself names?

No, it's not. You need to learn that all building code in the US is under local control. The model codes exist as guidance for state and local authority. I'm sorry you never bothered to learn this and have to have your ignorance exposed like this.

Like I've said many times:

In other words you can't backup your foolish assertation. That's ok, it's clear you are just an incompetent fool who resorts to abusive usenet posts.

I post and you dance, monkey boi. Just keep dancing. Some day, if you don't kill yourself with your drinking habit, you'll sober up and re-read some of these posts. Perhaps then you'll realize just how foolish you were. In the mean time, just keep dancing monkey boi.

Reply to
Clark