Switching off water heater ques'

When we had our house built over ten years ago, I had a wall switch installed for the 50 gal water heater. The reason being that at that time, we were pulling a 5'th wheel travel trailer around the country and were often gone for a couple months at a time. Turning off the water heater made sense; we also turned off the inline water supple to the heater.

My question, and I don't know why I didn't think of it years ago, is: Would it be economical to turn off the heater at night and back on in the mornings. One thought says, "yes", but the other is that it would have to reheat the water equal to the overnight lost temp, and wouldn't save anything.

Your thoughts please. Bob-tx PS: OT, but along the same lines. We also had the garage door opener put on a wall switch so it could be turned off during periods of absence. These switches are mounted about six feet high so they are not confused for light switches.

Reply to
Bob

You may save a tiny bit. Water heaters are better insulated than they were years ago.

Next question, do you heat your house? If so, any loss from the water heater will go toward heating your house during heating season. It would be wasted the rest of the year.

If you decide to do this, you need a timer to turn it back on well before you need the water in the morning as it will take time to recover.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Your savings would be zilch when you take that long shower you would burn it and more cut the temp and save more most people run the tank to hot thinking it will recover faster not just cost more to run.

Reply to
jim

Not enough to make up for any inconvenience while you wait for it to re-heat. You would really loose very very little.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan