Switch near tub

I'm wiring for a reading light in the ceiling above my soaker tub. I was going to wire it to an air switch that was going to go into the rim of the tub. Can I use a decora switch on the wall next to the tub and run it to a relay that would control the light?

Thx Gary

Reply to
Gary

to wire it to an air switch that was going to go into the rim of the tub. Can I use a decora switch on the wall next to the tub and run it to a relay that would control the light?

The only rule about switches is that they can't be inside "tub space", the area above the tub. The light itself is another issue. Is is above

8'? If not it needs to be "wet location" rated
Reply to
gfretwell

going to wire it to an air switch that was going to go into the rim of the tub. Can I use a decora switch on the wall next to the tub and run it to a relay that would control the light?

If I understand correctly, an airswitch is a pneumatic device placed near a wet location, that activates an electrical switch elsewhere. That SHOULD be legal in/near a tub enclosure. That is, after all, what they're designed for.

Reply to
Goedjn

going to wire it to an air switch that was going to go into the rim of the tub. Can I use a decora switch on the wall next to the tub and run it to a relay that would control the light?

Exactly right. You can put the air switch in the tub if you wanted. They were developed for spas where a 5 foot exclusion zone exists for any switching device. The switch is actually at the other end of the hose, a safe distance from the water. The confusion starts when this is a residential bath tub which is regulated by much less stringent rules, even if it has hydrotherapy jets in it. There are even some inspectors who should know better that confuse the two.

Reply to
gfretwell

It is at 8'1", but I am putting in a wet location fixture yes. So there is a code on LV switches?

Reply to
Gary

Yup, but I wanted to avoid the air switch.

Reply to
Gary

As long as your switch is outside of the footprint of the tub it is OK for a bathtub or hydrotherapy tub.

In the case of tub, spa and pool rules the code does not differentiate between "low voltage" and line voltage. It just says "The switch for shower luminaires (lighting fixtures) and exhaust fans, located over a tub or in a shower stall, shall be located outside the tub or shower space." for bath tubs and in the case of pools and spas "Switching devices shall be located at least 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside walls of a pool (or spa) unless separated from the pool by a solid fence, wall, or other permanent barrier."

Reply to
gfretwell

Use a string, then. Or a long plastic rod. Or turn on the light before getting into the tub. You shouldn't have an electrical switch reachable from the tub, even if it is low-voltage.

Reply to
Goedjn