swimming pool opening....shocking?!

Hi - I'm just curious as to how much shock others are using to get a chlorine reading after opening your pool.....I have a 20x40 and find that I usually have to add about 15-20lbs of calcium hypochlorite (non-stablilized) when I open my pool to get a stable reading. After that, I usually shock 4lbs every week or two. Pool is closed with a floating feeder and appropriate chemicals for the winters here in KC.

Automatic chlorinator is set to the highest setting and I use a 3" stablized tablet....heater is on, so I go through chlorine pretty quickly this time of year.

Would adding a stabilizer during startup help or is this just the way it goes? Inquiring minds want to know....

Thanks!

Rodney

Reply to
Rodney Rein

I used to put stabilizer in every time I emptied the water. Once a year. For me it was cheap compared to the rest of the chemicals I would use with out it. Use stabilized chlorine always. As the water evaporates it replaces the stabilizer.

Reply to
SQLit