sweating copper

solder to flow in easily.

Tubing and copper pipe are 2 totally different situations. Tubing is thin like the fitting. Even Type M, which is the cheap light crap with the red stripe is heavier than most fittings, while the blue L and green K type are a LOT thicker. In a lot of heat exchanger units the manifolds/fittings are significantly thicker/heavier than the tubes.

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And therefore, that must be the right way to do it. No possibility that some other way might work better.

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

and applying heat to the fitting, with the pipe inside it, heats them both.

For crying out loud, clare, you don't have to heat the whole damn pipe, just enough of it to bond the solder!

You're wasting time and gas. Clean and flux everything, assemble the joint, and apply heat to the fitting *only*. After a few seconds, touch the solder to the *pipe* 180 degrees away from the flame. When it's at melting temp, the solder flows into the joint smoothly, filling the joing completely, without overheated fittings or burnt flux -- in about HALF the time it takes doing it your way.

There is absolutely no need to heat the pipe first, then the fitting.

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You should stick to subjects you know something about; this isn't one of them.

I just miked a piece of 1/2" copper pipe and a 1/2" coupling: the pipe wall measured 0.023" and the wall of the fitting 0.040". So tell me, which is the larger heat sink, the pipe or the fitting which is almost seventy-five percent thicker than the pipe?

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It is nothing of the sort.

Chloramines are ammonia derivatives, in which one or more hydrogen atoms have been replaced by chlorine atoms.

Stick to subjects you know something about; this isn't one of them.

Reply to
Doug Miller

enough of it to bond the

apply heat to the

away from the flame.

the joing completely, without

Well, it doesn't take me very long, and it works every time - even with mapp gas on my "propane" torch. It IS a high swirl turbo-torch - unless I use the acelelyne torch.

Reply to
clare

Quite right, but I never said anything about copper pipe did I? I'm talking tubing. The same .022 and .025 tubing used in most refrigeration, unit heater and transfer coils in water and steam systems. Return bends were made from similar tubing.

We made aluminum finned coils from 6" x 6" x 1" up to 48" x 180" x

24". About 90% was copper, but we did some brass and cupro-nickel for high pressure in ships.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'd believe you if it was true. Never saw anyone that was affected. I'm know that people using lead glazed ceramics holding acidic juices have been affected. Never saw any damage from water pipes though.

Then there is all that asbestos . . . . .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

A lot of Obama voters came from there. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

measured 0.023" and the

or the fitting which is almost

I guess it depends on the fitting. and you are measuring the cheap-asses Type M tubing (and poorly at that - it's .028" wall thickness) - while L is 040 and L is .049. (assuming half inch - anything bigger is thicker)

A straight coupling ( 1/2") measures .028", and an LB is thinner because it STARTS at .028 and is stretched to fit over the pipe, as well as being stretched on the outer radius. At least a LOT of them are. I have a 3/4" street elbow in my hand, and it is as thin as .025 and as thick as .035" 3/4" K is .065", L is .045", and M is .032"

So how 'bout YOU stick to what YOU know.

Reply to
clare

been replaced by

I should have said "basically".

noun any of several compounds containing chlorine and nitrogen; used as an antiseptic in wounds [syn: chloramine]

And I AM correct.

Chloramine(s) Definition: A class of amines, chloramines are produced when ammonia and chlorine (as hypochlorous acid) react with each other.

Chloramine is increasingly used in water treatment plants rather than chlorine, as chloramine is much more stable and will not dissipate from water, ensuring disinfection until it reaches the consumers. In chloramine water treatment, monochloramine (NH2Cl) is formed by adding chlorine and ammonia under controlled conditions. In chlorine water treatment, a combination of inorganic chloramines is formed as disinfection by-products, also referred to as combined chlorine residuals.

Chloramines in air are strong respiratory irritants.

Source: GreenFacts

You want to argue with that, fine. Doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply to
clare

And here I thought the original topic was soldering copper pipe and

90 degree elbows into a square? How terribly stupid of me.
Reply to
clare

A tempest in a lead glazed teapot? Much ado about nothing?

I agree. In a properly soldered water system, consisting of about 12 fittings with 2 solder joints each, there is MABEE 1 square inch of solder exposed to water. That solder is 37 - 40% lead.

In most water systems (around here anyway, where the water is HARD but not alkaline, ) the solder is coated with a thin mineral deposit within months, which at least partially protects the joint from erosion or leaching.

And Asbestos? Yes - it is definitely a hazard when air-born - but when encapsulated in vinyl, as in TILE????

I worked with asbestos on pretty well a daily basis for over 20 years, as it was used in just about all brakes and clutches back when. Lots of guys blew out the dust - I virtually ALWAYS washed it out with a water hose - no dust. Theshing dirt on the farm did me a lot more damage than the asbestos.

Reply to
clare

Who's Kenny ya know?

.

Yea, it killed Kenny ya know.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

have been replaced by

Yeah, you're correct. Following your chemistry, then water is basically a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen. Or salt water is basically a mixture of hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide.

He wasn't aruing with any of that. Only with you referring to a new chemical MOLECULE as a mixture. Capiche?

Reply to
trader4

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Whether it's 0.023 or 0.028, the 0.040 fitting is still thicker. So much for your harebrained notion that the pipe is thicker than the fitting.

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No, you're not.

That's not at all the same thing as "a mixture of" the two.

Reply to
Doug Miller

your harebrained notion that

Were you measuring a BRASS fitting by chance? I gave you the measurements for 2 copper ones. They are accurate. They are lighter than all but the cheap-assed type M, which I NEVER use.

Reply to
clare

No? If you mix them they react. You get Chloamines as a byproduct of the reaction.

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No, I was measuring copper. The obvious conclusion is you don't know what you're talking about.

Reply to
Doug Miller