Sump Pump is full. Please help

Hello,

It has been raining for the past 4 days straight. Sump Pump is full with water and the pump will start working the water will disappear but will come back in a second.

Any idea what it could be.

Thank you!

Reply to
kavlainc

Yes, its lots of water. I need more info. Where does your pumped water go? To a sewer, or into your yard? If it goes to a sewer, then you simply have a lot of water in the ground. If it goes to your yard, and not far enough away from your foundation, it is _possible_ that the same water is working its way back into your sump.

mrsgator88

I water is coming back down the outlet pipe, you need to install a check valve. Home Depot is your friend here...

Reply to
Maker of Rules

Or, it could be working against a high water table, or a lot of runoff. IOW, doing its job.

More info is needed. Are you in the northeast?

Banty

Reply to
Banty

If the outlet pipe terminates underwater, either in a ditch, puddle or sewer, it will siphon water back into the sump the moment the pump shuts off. You need either a check valve, which I find often unreliable in sump pump use because they often get stuck open, or you need an air admittance valve at the highest point in the discharge pipe, this lets air in the line so it can drain out both directions from the point where the valve is installed. I simply used a well pump foot valve which has been in use for 35 years. This is also important in areas subject to freezing, because a check valve will keep the pipe filled with water which can freeze. The air admittance valve drains the pipe so that it does not freeze.

Reply to
EXT

You must have bought the pump from a magician.

(doing a little phishing with all that water?)

Reply to
Toller

It could be a troll.

But I'll play. Where does the water come in: from the pipe or pipes, maybe 4" black plastic pipe or maybe some other kind or location of pipe, close to the top of the sump; at the bottom of the sump underneath the water; or both?

Reply to
mm

They get stuck open by dirt and junk in the water, I presumem, yes????

What about when they work ok. Does the valve take up any space inside the pipe and slow down the expulsion of the water??

It seems like it must take up quite a bit, because if the valve plate is a stiff plastic circle, just a bit bigger than the inside pipe diameter at that point, how far open such a circle go? Not all the way.

And if the plastic circle was smaller, that would mean the pipe narrowed at that point, and that would be a restriction too.

In a check valve for plastic pipe, is the valve plate a stiff plastic circle?

Reply to
mm

on mine, in buffalo ny, if you add more hose water to fill up the sump pit and exceed the pump-out rate of water, does it operate continuously and pump the water away? = then it's good. try that and get back to us when the rain ends.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
buffalobill