Stupid Home Repair Shows

Rough power comparison -= 40 inch TV, normal picture: Plasma 90 watts, LCD 80 watts, LED 70 watts according to local dealer who tested them before the christmas season to be able to give customers accurate advice.

Watching skiing or a hockey game the Plasma current went up over 100 watts, but watching MIB, it was less than 80.(mostly dark screen) With LED and LCD the current is relatively constant and unrelated to screen colour.

Reply to
clare

That is half true. If the ambient temperature is higher than the specs listed for the TV you will put a strain on the unit, and void any warranty. Most all electronic appliances, like a TV, have a low and high ambient temperature in their specs. If you exceed that temperature you put a strain on the electronics because the heat sink won't do its job.

Ambient temperature matters. I just grabbed the first manual I could find in the manual folder and it's for a DVD player. Specs. say the ambient temperature range is 41ºF to 95ºF. The temp above a fireplace can surely go over 95ºF.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

That is because older early model plasma TVs were like toaster ovens. I was at a trade show, where we had to wait for the next demonstration in a long hallway that was lined on both sides with plasma TVs when they first came out. It was like the inside of an oven, you could feel the radiant heat from the screen on your skin much like a tropical sun burning your skin. They have improved them greatly now, the heat from the screens is minimal.

Reply to
EXT

Our 46" plasma runs right around 500W. The room is big enough that 500W isn't enough to heat it appreciably, though.

Reply to
krw

Void any warranty...? Huh? Is there some sort of temperature sensor in a TV with the ability to record the temperature? If you live in a hot climate, are all warranties void? That makes no sense.

As far as the strain, I've had roaring fires and ambient temperatures over 100 F and there's no picture breakup or anything like that (frankly, not even sure how a high temperature would affect a TV - not really sure what would happen). I'm not arguing that the TV is immune to temperature, just that the people would be affected more than the TV would.

And we're talking about TVs, not DVD players, right? Here's what I pulled off of Panasonic's site: For a 50" Plasma TV Operating Temperature 32=B0F - 104=B0F (0=B0C - 40=B0C) For a 42" LCD TV No operating temperature listed

Interesting, no?

RicodJour

That's interesting. A 42" Panasonic plasma has a rated power consumption of 286 watts. I'm not sure how they figure that stuff - would that be only when a completely white screen was displayed?

RicodJour

That would appear to be correct - worst case current draw.

Reply to
clare

Okay, thanks. I can't wait until we get CFL TVs. I'd love to have some extra time to get snacks and beverages while the TV is warming up. ;)

RicodJour

While simultaneously producing maximum audio volume.

Reply to
Larry W

? wrote

My LG 47" LCD runs 241 watts according to their web site. I also found they no longer list the consumption on TV aside from standby that is 0.3 watts. So, I checked Samsung to see what they offered. They just state it exceeds Energy Star compliance: Approval by Energy Star, a government program, ensures TV is eco-friendly and energy efficient.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Interesting yes. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make? It appears you are saying to ignore the factory operating temperature specs? Well hell yes, we can all go over the factory specs on most everything we own without immediate damage. The manufactures don't advise it, I don't advise it, you seem to believe that it doesn't matter. Whatever. It's your choice.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

That explains the lower wattage ratings others have posted. My daughters TV has 5 or 6 fans across the top of it to help it stay cool.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

No, Your are just delivering the usual "see it works" comment when operating something outside of spec which totally neglects any long term effects.

Reply to
George

No, Tony, I am saying that people are imaging there will be a heat issue affecting the TV over the fireplace in some noticeable way, the same way that they are imaging that the viewing angle is always uncomfortable with it up there.

I have never heard of a heat issue with a TV above the fireplace, have you? Here's a thread of three years duration, and there's no mention of actual heat related problems, only WAGs that there would be a problem.

's interesting (I know, I find a lot of things interesting!) that that thread started off almost the exact same way as this one, with the same concerns and assumptions, and nowhere in there is a mention of heat-related damage to the TV. There are many other threads with essentially the same information, but I chose that one to post as it was over a long time frame and addressed the same questions that were brought up here.

I would not hang a TV over a wood stove, a vent-free gas fireplace or over a fireplace that did not have a projecting mantel, or if the fireplace is more or less constantly on in the winter. The surest way to determine if it is safe enough for the new TV is to test the ambient temperature above the fireplace with a thermometer while a roaring fire is going. Anything else is guessing.

RicodJour

Mine has fans across the top, too. I didn't notice them until the service tech opened the thing up to replace the power supply. They're *really* quiet. Must not be turning very fast at all.

Reply to
krw