Stud extender for thicker insulation

Does anyone have a solution for adding insulation thicker than the studs? It's behind a knee wall area in my attic. Google came up with a few patents on devices but I haven't seen anything for sale. The only thing I thought of was butting 2x4s against the old ones and nailing them together. Any better ideas?

Thanks Dante

Reply to
Dante M. Catoni

That would help. But what do you plan to do after, cover it. Also where do you live. If you are in a colder area you might want to conside staggering the second row of 2 X 4's and over lap the insulation.

Reply to
bdeditch

Pull the fiberglass and replace it with foam... You stop any air infiltration and get a higher r-value to boot.

-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Reply to
Rick Blaine

I am not going to cover it. My plan was to just extend the studs so that I can install single rows of R-30. There is 2" fiberglass between the studs now, but I am going to remove it. The old insulation has cardboard stapled over it. A lot of it is falling down and looks as if it has absorbed moisture. I am in Rhode Island.

Thanks Dante

bdeditch wrote:

Reply to
Dante M. Catoni

Where did the moisture come from. Is it the result of improper or no vapour barrier on the warm side of the insulation? Or insufficient ventilation on the 'attic' side of the insulation? Just adding (replacing existing) insulation without determining why dampness may have occurred could merely repeat the process. Damp can mean mould/mildew and rot.

Reply to
terry

closed cell foam is a good choice, R6 per inch and stops air infiltration, it expands and seals every little nook and cranny

Reply to
hallerb

they are called "furring strips "

"Dante M. Cat>Does anyone have a solution for adding insulation thicker than the 1studs?

It's behind a knee wall area in my attic. Google came up with a mfew patents on devices but I haven't seen anything for sale. The only >thing I thought of was butting 2x4s against the old ones and nailing 9them together. Any better ideas?grThanksoDante

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

adding insulation thicker than the 1studs?

Yes, you just add furring strips, of whatever thickness you want, and nail them on top of the existing stud face.

Reply to
trader4

Could you buy the foam and rent the machine?

Reply to
** Frank **