Stuck Water Supply Nipple

Any tips on how to un-stuck a very tight (and old and rusty...) plumbing valve from it's nipple? It is orig plumbing and house is 45 years old.

Valve is leaky so I have no choice but to redo plumbing.

TIA

Reply to
Oceans 2K

Heat the valve with a torch; it will expand slightly and let go (maybe).

If saving the nipple is a must, saw thru the valve body where the threads are. Saw lengthwise (direction of the pipe) or as near to that as you can. Don't saw *into* the pipe threads, just right up to them. Then split the valve body with a cold chisel or maybe just a screwdriver twisting in the sawed slot. You only need a tiny bit of "give" to be able to unscrew the nipple.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Spray all surrounding woodwork with water. Keep your sprayer on hand, just in case... Shoot the joint with Liquid Wrench. Apply flame from a propane torch to the *female* half of the joint, and it'll expand and break free of the nipple.

Note that pipe threads are cut tapered. If you can turn a fitting

1/4 turn with a wrench, you can turn it the rest of the way (hopefully) by hand.
Reply to
Father Haskell

The saw worked. My trusty Lenox hacksaw always comes through in a pinch.

Thanks

TC

Reply to
Oceans 2K