Storage Building Entrance

Where I volunteer has a large metal storage building. The building has

3 entrances, 2 large roll up doors and a heavy metal door set in a metal frame. Both roll up doors are kept secured by sliding pins through the tracks. Now to the problem, the door knob has become impossible to turn and the door cannot be opened. Door swings inward and hinge pins are not accessible. What is the easiest way to open the door and cause the least amount of damage to door, frame or building?

Thanks and all solutions will be be considered.

Reply to
NamPhong

Break the doorknob off, punch out the inside knob and operate the bolt with a screwdriver

Reply to
gfretwell

Agreed. That would be the least expensive option. Door knobs are cheap compared to replacing a door jamb or replacing a window (if applicable) and no way in hell will you gain access to the overhead doors unless you have superman strength to lift and break the stops without damaging the track.

Reply to
Meanie

Put a huge pipewrench on the door knob. It will turn or break.

If it turns then replace it.

If it breaks, break it off and force the latch open and then replace it.

Reply to
catalpa

You must replace your door or its changed.

Reply to
Ruby Mia

I had a similar problem recently except I could reach both sides of the door, knob just wouldn't turn. Even after removing the knob I could not move the bolt even via its internal mechanism.

I was preparing to use a thin blade on an angle grinder to cut off the bolt at the keeper but on a whim I tried moving the bolt with a screwdeiver between the door and keeper. It moved, bolt removed, lock replaced, problem solved.

Reply to
dadiOH

Any chance of using a paint scraper to slide the bolt back?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Have you tried penetrating oil like Kroil or PB Blaster?

Is there a lock cylinder in the knob? If so, will the key turn the lock? If not and if the penetrating oil doesn't work, you can drill the lock cylinder out which might allow you to turn the knob.

If none of that works, the other suggestions of using a pipe wrench to break off the knob and then a screwdriver to retract the bolt is probably your last, best option.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

PLZ try to remove this paint and to start new paint at every place.

Reply to
Ruby Mia

Thanks to all who replied. Tried the pipe wrench suggestion and with a little effort the door popped open. Tried to find out what caused it to jam in the first place but it all looked normal. Didn't close the door until I had changed out the knob set though and now all is wonderful. Thanks to all who offered helpful ideas.

Reply to
NamPhong