Steel bathtub repair

I have a 30 year old steel enameled tub, which the floor was chipped years ago. The chip is rusting to the point of worrying about it leaking. I was hoping to get a remodel job done by now, but such is life.

I seen a product at Lowes called, NuTub. This may fit the bill to hold off for a couple more years.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to patch an enameled steel tub? Thanks for your suggestions.

Reply to
Jim

| Does anyone have any suggestions on how to patch an enameled steel tub? | Thanks for your suggestions. |

There are little touch-up kits that look like nail polish, but it's noticeable and doesn't last a long time. Since the enamel is basically glass I don't think there's any way to truly patch it. One option might be to use something like Bondo and then have the tub refinished. That uses an epoxy finish that holds up pretty well. It's not perfect, but if the tub is in good shape otherwise the refinish should look pretty convincing.

Reply to
Mayayana

Patch it with epoxy.

Reply to
clare

Also, you should be aware that the coating on your tub is not paint. It is porcelain enamel. This is a powder coating that is electrostatically sprayed onto the steel tub and then baked at high temperatures so that the powder melts and the molten particles fuse together to make a glass-like coating that is very hard and durable. It is much more durable than field applied coatings like tub renewal products.

So, you CAN have your tub refinished, but don't expect the durability of the field applied coating to be anywhere near that of the original porcelain enamel coating. The field applied coating will LOOK good, at first at least, but it just won't stand up as well as porcelain enamel.

Really, for the long term, it might be best to patch the chip in the steel tub, and then plan to renovate that bathroom with a new enameled steel tub.

Reply to
nestork