Stainless steel countertops

We're considering what countertops to do with our new kitchen remodel.

We currently have laminate, and it works fine, except we would like something a bit more resilient to heat if we can, but laminate and concrete are a bit over our budget...and they aren't soemthing I want to DIY.

Restaurants use stainless, and we like the look...but we aren't exactly sure where we can find a manufacturer of a custom-sized countertop. Is this something that anyone here has had done before? What does it cost, where do we start on finding someone who can do this kind of work locally?

Reply to
kellyj00

To find one, I'd call an architect's office. I doubt they'd charge you just for recommending a metal shop. Second choice would be the yellow pages. Not all metal shops do this kind of work, but you should be able to find one.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Uh, if laminate and concrete are over your budget, stainless steel is way, way, way over your budget. It'd be hard to find a more expensive top. It's not terribly hard either. It'll take the heat, but you'd better be OK with the "patina" of scratches you'll have.

Quartz and granite are good for heat, but they'll be more expensive than laminate, too.

Reply to
mike

Try welding shops. I had mine made up in an "L" shape that picks up the sink and cooktop with a backsplash that goes up to the uppers.. It has two different levels with a lot of bends ahd joints. It came out to $1200. Most of that was labor. It was one big piece that used almost a whole sheet of stainless. I made up the substrate (2 layers of 3/4 plywood) to fit the space and took it up to them so they could make the top fit exactly. I could have done better on the price if it was a little less complicated but I got what I want.

Reply to
gfretwell

Stainless cabinets are not easy to maintain, counters will scratch and until completely scratched might look bad.

Reply to
m Ransley

did you use a mastic type adhesive between the metal and plywood?

Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

Nope. I had originally planned on it but the top fit so well it wasn't necessary. The sink and cooktop anchored the flat parts and the upper cabinets clamped the vertical part. I did put a bonding lug on it and grounded the whole assembly but the outlet boxes probably did that anyway.

Reply to
gfretwell

I had them in my last house. It's sort of a love-hate thing. They are certainly different from other materials and their utility is unsurpassed. However, they do scratch up and can get dents in them, like a car.

They are wicked expensive.

Reply to
roger61611

What grade did you use? I went with 316 18ga brushed finish and I am not sure how you would dent it. When I actually priced it out the money was in the labor so I went with the thickest stainless they stocked locally. The difference was only $30 or $40 so for the whole sheet and I had some left over I use around the shop. It is really cool stuff to have around.

Reply to
gfretwell