stainless steel cooktop

I've got stains on my stainless steel cooktop... I think they are water/mineral deposits that combined with the heat become baked on, but I'm not a chemist and I hope someone has seen this and has a remedy? I paid alot for this cooktop, and now am wishing I got the plain white enamel finish. Maybe there is a good all around stainless cleaner? tia, John

Reply to
John H

First -- don't use steel wool. There is a product called "Barkeeper's Friend" which will probably clean it up. Look for it in most larger grocery stores.

HTH, Mark

Reply to
Mark Sparge

If it's just calcium carbonate from water, try putting a few drops of white vinegar on one of those stains. Give it 15-20 minutes and then wipe off.

I haven't done this on a cooktop but it works for me on sinks, faucets and more. Soaking a shower head in white vinegar overnight also works like magic.

White vinegar is cheap and very safe -- one of the few cleaning chemicals that is safe to drink ;-)

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

First, have you checked with the manufacturer for cleaning guidelines? Wet the area with white vinegar, sprinkle some salt on top, rub with a cloth, rinse, buff dry. This technique will clean most metals, is non-abrasive, inexpensive, and non-toxic. Coca-Cola might work too. For regular cleanup and removing spots, spray on some seltzer water and polish with a soft cloth. Careful--many metal polishes are abrasive or slightly abrasive and could damage the shine.

Reply to
Phisherman

Web searchs (appliance reviews) will tell you that SS cooktops can and do get permanent discoloration from sustained high heat. Some more easily than other.

Reply to
Bart

I have a stainless steel kitchen. The trick is to get a brushed finish SS that is the right grade for a kitchen (Don't remember the spec but it is something between 316 and 304 in hardness) . The guy who fabbed up mine does commercial kitchens. You are never going to keep a mirror finish. To keep it clean I don't use anything but a scotch brite sponge and some of the afore mentioned barkeeper friend.

Reply to
gfretwell