Staining Laminate counters?

I have boring, builder-beige postformed laminate counters that could use a face-lift. I know I could replace them easily with HD or Lowes counters but I have non-standard size issues. Have looked into painting them but I'm skeptical about this and besides...who wants to put 6-8 coats of paint & polyurethane on ANYTHING?? So my idea is...can they be permanently stained

-on purpose!- in some way - either a solid color or in a mottled way to look like stone. It would also have to be something relatively food safe. Laminate counter sites mention all the nasty things that will permanently stain your counters - could/should I use any of them (or anything else) to achieve a good, lasting result? I haven't been able to find any precedent for this...does anyone have any thoughts, experience or ideas? Thanks!!

Reply to
lorij

Your counters are formica or some equivalent ? I do not think you have any options. I saw somewhere that people would glue new laminate (just the thin laminate plastic part) over old counters. I'd think they'd have a problem if the counter is bull nosed, with getting it to match the curve.

I fyou really hate them counters are relatively inexpensive compared to other things and they can be cut or sized every which way. My new house has medium/dark blue counters, which I prefer over beige I guess.

Reply to
roger61611

if the counters weren't post-formed...bullnosed backsplash and edge...i would definitely consider relaminating, but I don't think that can be done with the curves.

Reply to
lorij

Don't do it. I have some tenants that tried it without permission. It looks like s***. They bought some countertops. I just haven't told them yet.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

LOL...hope "they" picked out something nice! Thanks for the warning...I have alot of counters so I couldn't just experiment on them. I'd have to be pretty sure before trying anything. Staining them just seems like a feasible idea. I was just hoping someone ELSE had tried it first!

Reply to
lorij

Plastic laminate is just that - plastic while stain is meant for wood. You might produce a "stain" on your counter but its color would be a bit unpredictable. It probably would be even though.

You can get epoxy paint that wouldn't require many coats and would give you a reasonably durable shiny finish but it can still be stained by some foods (grape juice for example)

Reply to
AutoTracer