spraying latex on garage drywall?

Anyone have experience with this? Lows has a $50 latex paint sprayer, and I have an old wagner electric sprayer. I would be doing latex drywall primer followed by latex semi gloss (or maybe less gloss). I think there is an attachment for the Wagner that points up for doing ceilings, with the air gun I suppose I'd have to keep it fairly full doing the ceiling. Any real life experience out there?

Reply to
Tony Miklos

I have an old Wagner also and used the tubing to suck paint out of the full can. You can then spray at any angle. As Oren said, not many garages are finished to interior standards. Doing a texture on the walls would solve that problem with colored paint

Reply to
Michael Dobony

I used my Wagner spray for about 2 gallons and trashed it. Either get a real sprayer or use a roller.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You used yours a gallon more than I used mine.....don't even remember what I did with it nor do I care. I purchased it to paint approximately

800' of wood picket fence. Ended up taking each panel down and painting them with a brush.

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

First, chuck the Wagner, and either rent or buy a good airless. I got a Graco XR7 for $300 for some remodels, and used it on a lot of things afterward, and they are great.

That being said, they do have some big downsides. It amounts to applying paint with a garden hose, so you have to be prepared and do it right. You need to remove or mask anything that will get paint on it. There is a LOT of overspray. Second, backroll it. That is, have someone right behind you with a 3/4" nap roller to even out what you spray. It will look a lot better. You will have to change the roller often, as it builds up with paint. Use the look of the stipple to know when to change rollers.

If this is a garage, it doesn't have to be perfect, but you want it to look nice. Be sure to use the right tip orifice, as they have all sizes, and that determines how much paint comes out.

Use large buckets to put more than one gallon of paint into, as an airless will suck up a gallon in a very short time, and you don't want to stop painting to change buckets, and end up with a dry line.

Good luck.

I do not regret a bit spending that much for an airless. On jobs I have used it that required a real painting, it shone. Two of us did 100' of block wall once in less than an hour. It would have taken us two days with rollers.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

My luck with the wagners has not been good. They make a nice job when they work, but I've had them "jam up". If not on the first job, on the second or third.

Overspray with an air sprayer can be an issue - I'd only use a HVLP type sprayer

Reply to
clare

You can't beat a Graco. And filtering is DEFINITELY important, with ANY paint, in ANY sprayer (with the possible exception of the Graco. That thing could pretty well pump putty.

Reply to
clare

The last one I used went back to Home Despot in the box, covered in paint.

Reply to
clare

Well thanks for all the replies, I suppose there is a good reason why that Wagner hasn't come out of the box in years. Time to toss it and make more room on the shelf.

I'll check into renting an airless.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

I would just roll it..Even if you spray it you should have/hire a helper to roll behind you especially for a first time rookies as you will have runs and holidays..No offense...Covering the floor , windows , doors ect. negates any time savings and you will use more paint spraying it....In a nutshell it will cost you more and take longer to spray it...The ONLY time I spray is when I have a whole house to prime and then I roll the finish coats of paint..All the other pros I know do it that way as well...HTH...

Reply to
benick

I used to have a cheapo Wagner (mainly for louvered doors) and sometimes used the tip you refer to. Actually, it is flexible so you can bend it up

*or* down (or sideways). It worked fine.
Reply to
dadiOH