splicing into copper pipe

I need to install a pressure regulator on my incoming water service. It's currently over 100psi, and I have watering systems that require less than 80psi.

I need to cut into the existing pipe somewhere. I'm wondering how to do that. Since it's close to a wall I can't get a pipe cutter around it. Do I use a hack saw? If so, am I going to dump a bunch of copper shavings into the water lines? I'm wondering what that would do to appliances like a water softener and RO filter. Is there any special tool for cutting pipe with little clearance?

Reply to
bcboy

If you don't have enough clearance to use one of the compact pipe cutters, you don't have enough clearance to install a pressure regulator. So think about putting it someplace else, even if it means using two.

BTW pressure should be about 55psi. 100 is an accident waiting to happen. I put one on last year, and also installed a new main shut off as long as I had it down. They don't last forever and good luck replacing one that is leaking.

Reply to
Toller

Have you thought of using a thumb cutter, If that doesn't work hacksaw is only choice. There would be allot of crap getting into the system Vacuum the line out after cutting.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Sounds like you want to put a pressure regulator on the whole house to solve a problem at an outside sprinkler system. If that is all it is, you should use pressure regulating sprinkler valves to reduce to the proper pressure for the heads.

On the other hand, 100psi is very high and reducing it at the house input is advised anyway. If you go with my first paragraph, use brass valves and metal pipe until after the valve so the 100psi dosen't blow the PVC away.

Small thumb cutter can cut with about 1" clearance. Just like a regular pipe ctter only smaller

Reply to
PipeDown