spalling foundation bricks

My house is very old and I would like to fix the foundation without completely digging a new basement. The outside is old red brick and is starting to crumble pretty badly, inside basement as well. I tried to use a mortar mix inside and it worked for a while but now it's falling off and bricks continue to crumble. Is this something I can fix myself or do I need to hire a professional?

Reply to
Richard Shaner

Please post some pics.

Reply to
Lawrence

You don't give information on soil or climate, so only general comment is possible. Old brick was often under burned and so "soft". Face shells would be a bit harder and spall off the brick body. I would look at rising damp from the ground. Perhaps you can dampproof the outer face all the way to the foundation. TB

Reply to
tbasc