Sound Proofing Walls?

Hi, I live is a side by side Condo complex that doesn't have good sound insulation between units. Is there any way to achieve around a 55-60 STC for the vertical walls between my unit and the other two without having to replace the drywall with something like the QuietRock system? I looked at Fomo Foam but can't find any reviews of it and what kind of STC it would provide me. Thanks, Danno

Reply to
dan

foam in place seals air movement which ultimately quiets things

Reply to
hallerb

foam in place seals air movement which ultimately quiets things

There is still sound transmitted through the studs. The only way around that is with the QuietRock or install an isolated wall.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

There are lots of tricks depending on the specific problem. I suggest checking out:

In general you want to block air exchange. Air caries sound very well. (Try opening your car's window as a train is going by.)

Next you want weight. Heavy things (drywall lead sheets etc.) block sound well.

You also want to prevent any direct solid connections. Stagger wall studs or use special isolation devices to keep the sound from traveling through the wall (remember the two cans on a string (well wire actuarially worked) you want to break the wire).

Filling in wall cavities with sound absorbing materials acoustical fiberglass bats) will do a little.

Point source control (special absorption material) at the source of the sound will also help.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan