Solder - lead free or not?

Or wrecks something expensive. Engines can get very upset when timing goes wrong.

Yes, lets make three of something just to avoid lead, ffs.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It's doing it on small areas too, and it didn't with lead solder. And it's an 80W iron.

Par for the course with treehuggers.

"and Legionella bacteria"

How does it grow? It's not alive.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Can you not buy lead solder in the USA? It's available in the UK, let me know if you want a shipment!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I just looked that up on Wikipedia. Sounds like a good idea, keeping the wire away from the wood for heat dissipation.

Seems contradictory though, it talks about ceramic insulators, but the wire is already insulated.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yes we can buy tin/lead solder in the US.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I thought when you said "I have retained several 4lb reels of 20swg and 16swg Ersin Multicore lead solder from the sixties" you meant because you couldn't get it anymore.

I bet you can't buy it in treehugging California.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey