Solar terms

I am researching how to install Solar on my roof DIY mode. I called our local power company and talked to the rep that handles the setup and approval of residential Solar installations including the Application form, Application Fee, installing Bi-directional meter and how the credits work.

During our conversation she used two terms that she could not tell me what they stood for but were in the speech. I am sure they are acronyms, but for what ? HMEV: She had no idea what this meant. GNT: I think she was trying to describe this a the cost of what the reseller pays /Kwh.

10 DC: She said it translates to 10Kw, but she was not sure. (She said if the system stays below 10 DC that it stay w/in a residential rate.)

My searches did not show anything for these terms and I even looked at the gov site for solar in the glossary that can be found here.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
Sid 03

?Hourly marginal electricity value? or ?HMEV? means the average of the hourly MISO Day Ahead Locational Marginal Prices (DA LMP) for electric energy (kWh) at the applicable Prairie Power, Inc. Commercial Pricing (CP) Node during the applicable billing period.

No idea about GNT.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I don't know, but someone not too far from here had panels put on their roof, and the guy ran a grey metal conduit down the whole front of the house. It looks terrible. I don't know if they discussed installation details in advance or not, but they should have.

(They could have run it down the back but the electricity coomes in the front. The could have run it through the attic, through a closet (and not sure where after that) or through the laundry chute to the basement, but that is clearly a lot more trouble.

Another person, closer by, has panels and their installer did a perfect job.

Reply to
micky

Reminds me of when I was getting quotes to get a new furnace/AC. One guy that came out to quote it, I was trying to discuss where they could put the new condenser, if the old location was OK, he told me not to worry about that, they will take care of it. The above is what happens when you let them take care of it. At the end of the process, on my own, I realized that the old condenser was in a bad spot. It was right outside the den, you could hear it running, it was loud and you don't need that when watching TV. I realized that by just running the lines about 5 feet further, it would go on the end of the house, where a bathroom is located. That's what I did and huge difference. The new unit is also quieter, net result is you barely know it's running, even when in the den. It's also interesting that of the three companies I had come quote it, not one recognized there was an obvious better location or if they did, they didn't say anything.

Reply to
trader_4

We had 4 or 5 quotes done for replacement windows - we made it clear that we weren't sure what we wanted - and we were looking for advice and ideas - and not just a low-dollar quote. The final guy made a suggestion that the others didn't mention - we're so happy with the end-result and I feel I still owe him a big Thank You. The issue was 2 large windows at the back of the house that originally had a top "picture window " and 2 smallish sliders beneath. We wanted a little more air-flow but the full sized crank-out windows would be very large - hard on the hardware and catch a lot of wind. They would also have the big vertical framework in the middle - visually disruptive .. The final guy suggested 2 awning-style crank-outs at the bottom and we were sold ! The awning style can be cranked wide open for good air flow or during rainy weather they can be opened a few inches for some air flow and not let-in any rain. For the style-of-grates we drove around some towns' neighbourhoods with similar homes and found what we liked / eliminated what we didn't like - also happy with the decision & results. John T.

Reply to
hubops

My house is full of those awning windows., They were very popular in Florida before AC was a thing. The problem is they have a horrible E rating. People tend to get rid of them if they are interested in something with better insulating qualities.

Reply to
gfretwell

This thread drifted faster than the drivers in Fast & Furious.

In a matter of hours it went from "What do these solar terms mean?" to an ugly solar panel installation to the proper placement of an AC condenser to the pros and cons of awning windows.

No, I don't have any answers either, but I'm good at making observations. ;-)

Reply to
Marilyn Manson