sofa webbing loose - can we re-apply it?

We have a couch (of undistinguished lineage), which we had re-upholstered about 15 (?) years ago. It's now sagging badly. Looking underneath, the problem seems to be that the webbing is coming loose. Without being overly judgemental, there might have been some quality issues in the repair - the webbing strips have only two tacks in each end, and these are pulling out. So, I have some hope that we could just re-attach them, and get back to a useable couch. In that light, ...

- Can you re-use the old webbing? If we could just re-stretch and nail it, it would be easier than removing it and installing new.

- In particular, will a stretching tool be able to grab the cut-off end of the old webbing? With the end unfolded, it comes about 2" past the frame.

- Will the position of the springs on the webbing be problematic? It doesn't look like they're sewn in.

- Anything else?

TIA, George

Reply to
ge

If it was a mediocre couch to start with, and the REPAIRS lasted 15 years, I'd have to say you've gotten your money out of it. As for re-using the webbing strips, if they're tearing out, then you probably want to re-enforce them before tacking them back on. Either that, or back them up with parachute cord stapled on with a robust staple gun.

Reply to
Goedjn

If it's stretching out and beginning to rot, it would be better to just get more webbing and apply over the existing webbing. If they are not sewn in they are probably attached with with metal clips called clinch-its. If this is the case be very careful re-webbing it, because the ends of the clips are very sharp.

Reply to
ChairMan

Not too long ago there was a story about some lady who had sat on her couch so long that her skin had actually grown into the couch fabric.

Reply to
Matt