snow up against the vinyl siding??

We have had a lot of snow this year in Saskatchewan (which means a lot more shovelling too!).. Last summer, I installed vinyl siding on the front of our house. I have been piling snow in front of the house, but some of it is piling up against the vinyl siding. Is this a smart thing to do? Will the snow eventually melt and the water run behind the siding?

On another note: As a result of last year's dry summer, the soil around the front of the house has pulled away about 1" to 1 1/2" from the concrete foundation. Will the snow that will be melting eventually run down the concrete foundation and into our basement???

Cory Regina, Saskatchewan

Reply to
Cory Lechner

Cory, just move to Saskatoon where the weather is nicer. Ivan

Reply to
Ivan

not in a million years! LOL!

Reply to
Cory Lechner

Not really

It may. Normally you will be ok, but under some conditions it may run behind the siding. Normally that is OK, but I don't consider it a good idea.

Good question. Sorry I don't have much of an answer. It really depends on the local soil and weather conditions would make a big difference. In most cases I would expect it to run down until it is under the frost line and then be absorbed into the soil.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan