Snow Blower engine RPMs?

I've got a feeling the governed full speed RPM of the 6 HP Tecumseh "Snow King" engine on my 1964 Ariens Sno-Thro has been decreasing over the years, as the "Widow Maker"* doesn't seem to be launching snow as far as I remember it could a while back, and nothing seems obstructed or noticably worn.

I've got a spark induction tach, but when I looked in the original manuals this morning, there's no mention of what the full speed RPMs should be set to.

The governor spring has probably taken a set over the years, probably because of my habit of shutting it down by leaving the engine running at full speed and closing the fuel petcock, which leaves the spring stretched a bit all the time.

Thanks guys and Happy New Year,

Jeff

  • So named because it predates safety features. The front halves of the auger ends are exposed and there's no dead man system, other than the gas tank running dry.
Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

3600 RPM. Greg
Reply to
Greg O

Thanks. Measured it tonite as around 3,500 with the wireless tach. Guess I was barking up the wrong tree. The snow may have been so dry and powdery that air resistance slowed it down before it flew very far. Yesterday was the first time I ran the blower since last winter, so my memory of the "right" engine sound was probably off too.

Happy New Year,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia