Snow, anyone else get it, too?

I have had experience in 1 meter (39 inches) of snow with an old 5 HP single stage craftsman with drift cutters - it wasn't pretty but it got the job done. 30 inch drifts with the old Canadiana 5/26 2 stage was a bit easier. The old 4/22 Noma Trackdrive worked very hard to handle 16 inches.

So far my new and expensive 6-24 Yamaha Hydro has not had to tackle more than about 8 inches in widely spaced drifts - I should have bought that new blower LONG ago!!!!!!

Reply to
clare
[snip]

I'm usually too far south. On average, it snows less than 1 day a year (and that's usually in February). However, this year we got a white surprise on Christmas.

It was a cold night and the electricity went off. At least I have gas logs.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Depends on the blower- and the snow. [and to a small extent, the operator]

The perfect snow for my little electric is 2-6" of wet stuff. It will throw it 40'. My 8hp 30 yr old Bolens starts working hard at around 8" if it is wet. [dry fluffy stuff goes 10 feet-- the wetter stuff just turns to water and runs down the side of the machine.]

My 'new' [to me] 8HP Ariens is apparently only limited by how creative you can get in feeding it. We ended up with a foot of fairly dense snow. As I was cleaning up this morning I started widening the end of the driveway where the plow throws . Because it was heavily salted it was a pretty dense mass of frozen [about 20F] chunks, snow, and ice. The machine kept asking for more-- In first gear I could take a full 26" swath without bogging the machine down at all.

My dad's driveway drifts. He will have a hard drift of over 5 feet. He buries his snowblower in up to the chute-- then backs it up. If he's lucky, the 'cave' collapses- and he repeats. If not- he knocks it in with a shovel. as far as 'how far' his Ariens blows the snow?blowing. . . All he needs to do is get the snow in the air-- it soon becomes part of the landscape in the field below.

Once he's broken through he has drift cutters that shave off up to about 4 feet high in each pass- He's 90 and *lives* for a nice storm. [me, not so much]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Thanks Jim. And I admire your dad... 90 and still going and then some ... Wow !!!

Reply to
Doug

I do now. I usually call up the kid and laugh at him. ;-)

Reply to
krw