Snoblower belt slipping: SOLVED

Thanks to all. I solved the problem by buying a new belt at Napa Auto parts. Today I blowed a lot of snow, including huge slushy piles near the end of my driveway. Everything works. I will have to look for a new drive belt though, but it is not urgent.

The Napa guys strongly advised against belt dressing, even though they had it for sale.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Ignoramus7928

Good...and the NAPA guys are right...for ordinary applications, the need for a belt dressing is a sure sign something else is wrong...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Clarification, I mean, drive belt for wheels. The belt that drives the auger and impeller is fine.

That's precisely what they said.

Ignoramus21190

When I was a snowblower owner I tried "generic" belts on my machine and stretched and broke them with regularity. Someone at a small engine shop told me that the belts for these machines are different. Automobile, or generic belts won't work for long.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

I already tried to point that out.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

I do not disagree with you guys, but I needed to get that thing running. I will now look for a new belt and will store one of them as a spare.

Ignoramus21190

Yes, it is a sign that something needs to be done. Meanwhile belt dressing is a valuable tool to keep the equipment running until whatever it is is taken care of. No-one even implied that it was a permanent fix.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

In ng's one never knows what someone will read/think/do so a word of explanation/caution is nearly always warranted...and there are gazillions lurking beyond those posting where sophistication is both directions from the level of the thread itself...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth