Smooth dropin 2x2 ceiling tile?

Hello everyone,

I have a kitchen that unfortunately has a suspended ceiling (T Bar system) with ugly textured 2x2 ceiling tiles. I'm doing some renovations and I'd like to find a 2x2 tile that most closely resembles a regular sheetrock ceiling (ie: smooth white no texture). I've looked at HD and Lowes as well as many online sites but it's either really expensive (ie: $25+ a tile) or still has some details/texture.

Anybody know where I could get flat plain smooth 2x2 tiles (it probably needs to be mineral since I'll be adding some recessed lights and I've read that it's a big no-no with the plastic ones).

Help will be much appreciated (btw: I'm in the Boston area if that helps).

Thanks!

zeO

Reply to
olivierk

Have you thought of using plaster/spackle to skim coat the existing ones? If the current one is coming down anyway... you can test on a panel or two to see if you like the result.

Be careful, the support system might not handle the extra load.

For that matter, you could probably get 4x8x1/4 drywall and cut them to size.

Reply to
Philip Lewis

Why not simply buy some drywall, cut it into 2x2's and paint it? As long as the celing is suspended properly it will take the weight.

Reply to
Brian V

Call a local grid ceiling contractor and ask them. Personally I have never seen 2x2. I have seen 2x4 that was used in commercial kitchens, washable.

Reply to
SQLit

Or why not just replace the ceiling with actual drywall? If you don't like the look then cobbling up something to imitate a drywall ceiling isn't really ever going to look right. Is there some reason it needs to be a suspended ceiling? If it's just a matter of height then just frame it up to the desired height and hang new drywall on it. Just make sure you properly anchor the framing of course.

Reply to
wkearney99

Thanks for the responses but

  1. Spackling is going to be too time consuming and not sure the result will be as nice as I'd like
  2. I believe that using cut up dry wall is going to be way too heavy for the T bar structure (I've read several threads against this)
  3. Closing up the ceiling alltogether is not an option since there is a huge amount of exposed plumbing from an added bathroom on the second floor (done in the 70s I would guess)

I'll call a local contractor but I was hoping that someone had an online source for me...

Thanks for the help,

zeO

Reply to
olivierk

Dont really think there is any happy medium for you. If you fear the plumbing will go on you, then have it checked or replaced. If you want a nice smooth surface any and all contractors are going to say put up drywall. nice thing about drywall is that it can be hacked up and replaced smooth again with a little bit of work.

I looked at the 2x2 tiles too. Didnt really find anything that appealing.

Reply to
BocesLib

Not trying to be a pain but this project is a quick improvement job not a install-a-brand-new-ceiling job so that's why I'm dismissing all these suggestions.

I aggree with you that what would look the closest to drywall would be drywall and if I had the time/money that's what I would have do.

I actually went back to Lowes last night and the solution was staring at me all this time! They sell mineral 2x4 smooth tiles that I can just cut in 2. I can't believe I did not think of this earlier! Duh!

Thanks for all your help!

zeO

Reply to
olivierk