smells from painting house

Hello, Our association has told us to paint the exterior of the house. We spoke with a contractor who uses Sherwin Williams brand of paints but advised us that if we're allergic to new paint smells, we should stay away from the house for several days.

Is this really necessary?

Is there a solution to the new paint smells? Does this depend on the quality of the paint?

THANKS!

Reply to
ap

Hello, Our association has told us to paint the exterior of the house. We spoke with a contractor who uses Sherwin Williams brand of paints but advised us that if we're allergic to new paint smells, we should stay away from the house for several days.

Is this really necessary?

Is there a solution to the new paint smells? Does this depend on the quality of the paint?

THANKS!

Reply to
ap

Is this a pre-complaint? Or based on a real problem?

Brand of paint, vice type of paint (alkyd/acrylic) would seem to be irrelevant. Never heard of paint allergy. True, some of the solvents can be pretty noxious in closed space- nothing to do with allergy.

Alkyd ("oil") paint is definitely the more potentially noxious. But .... on the exterior, solvents should dissipate very quickly. You do have the option of closing windows & doors, and going inside, at end-of-day. You might have slight problem if they're going to paint the window frames (and have to open them.) Natural ventilation (wind) should dissipate solvents, with help of solar-heating.

Reply to
barry

There are low VOC paints. These "smell" less than most. They are probably more expensive. The suggestion that the wind will dissipate any fumes. TB

Reply to
tbasc

It sounds like the painter may have got taken over the coals in a lawsuit and is now issuing the usual "do not use this electrical appliance while in the pool" and "do not place this plastic bag over your head" warnings.

Reply to
George

I don't think so. What he is saying is what many people don't want to believe. If paint smells bother you, there is not one damn thing you can do to eliminate the smells. Masking the smell, for example, does not get rid of the basic odor, and won't eliminate breathing problems by those that are easily affected by paint smells.

The point is, if you or anyone in your family is sensitivity to paint smells or any other finishing material, keep them away while the paint or finish is curing. Putting vanilla or other stuff in the paint is not going to reduce the problems for those sensitive to paint and finish smells.

Like I said, people don't want to believe there is no magic way of removing the problem, but there isn't. The only solution is time (away from the smells).

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I know of no low odor exterior paints. Either keep the windows closed or GTF out of Dodge for a few days.

Reply to
NickySantoro

If you are allergic, staying away is the best solution. Be particularly concerned with aquariums and birds. New paint smell can be reduced by adding an ounce of (real) vanilla extract to a gallon of paint. Even good paint has a smell.

Reply to
Phisherman