"Smart" thermostat

I've seen honeywell rounds that also did cooling.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The missing part is when did it reach the set temp? If it was set way back, the house temp went down 10 degrees and it took it took 2 hours to get to the new temp, then it might not be off that much and with some learning it may improve. If it got to the temp in under an hour, then I think something is probably wrong with it. The only strange part is it's hard to figure what kind of defect would cause that. It's not a sensor type issue. It seems to me if it is defective, it would have to be an error in the algorithhn, bug in the programming, etc.

Mine typically comes on about an hour before. If it's real cold out, so the temp has dropped a lot more, then it can come on an hour and a half or more before. It obviously depends mostly on how far it has to raise the temp. When it's not very cold, that might be 3 deg. When it's colder, could be 5 deg. When it's real cold, it's been setback for a long time, it could be 10 degrees.

Glad to be of assistance. Good luck with it.

Reply to
trader_4

Hi, Not interested in saving energy cost a bit and improving indoor comfort year round? If not, I am sure K.I.S.S one will do. "

My KISS is a 4-stage digital programmable Honeywell, thank you very much. No "smart learning" gimmickery included.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Sounds like mine. I have it set to come on 15 minutes before the alarm goes off. Warm enough. By the time my wife gets up it is at temperature.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've done a lot with PID temperature controllers. One learning cycle should get you pretty close. I have no idea what current learning thermostats use. I've stopped using automatic features. The house heats up pretty fast, and I'm retired. The only thing that offsets adjustment is how cold that couch or seat is, and floors.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I got at least three old honneywell stats. I just threw away an old programmable that someone gave me, in the 90s. It was so difficult to program. I forget the name. And I really hated walking toward it, touching it, and a spark would reset everything!! I think it also had a hard fail safe limit on temperature, separate mechanical switch, which I have not seen on current models. So important.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I wouldn't call adaptive recovery a gimmick. Implemented correctly, as in the VisionPro series, it works very well. If you're using set-back, the alternatives are either:

1 - Have it set to change to the "wake" temp at the earliest it ever needs to, ie for the coldest nights. If you do that, then most of the time the furnace is going to start a lot earlier, probably an hour plus earlier than it needs to. 2 - Put up with the house still being cold when you get up on those cold mornings. 3 - Change the programmed time, depending on how cold it's going to be those nights.

Adaptive recovery takes care of that, it also works for AC, when that is set back. As I said, mine hits the target time, closely, always getting there by the time it's supposed to.

Reply to
trader_4

On 17 Jan 2015, trader_4 wrote in alt.home.repair:

Hopefully I'll know in a few days. I returned and replaced my questionable thermostat and installed the new one last night. I think it may have come on at a more reasonable time this morning, but I didn't manage to rouse myself to know for sure.

Reply to
Nil

That's good, let us know how it works in a few more days.

I was at HD today, took a look for the new Honeywell knock off of the Nest. They have it, $280. I don't know exactly what it does or doesn't do, how it compares to the Nest. But it apparently can track your location via your smartphone, so that if it thinks you're on the way home, it will resume the normal heat/cooling, ie get the temp adjusted for you. That's kind of cool, but how well it works, how it differentiates with multiple people in the house etc, IDK. I wouldn't be the first to buy it, that's for sure.

Reply to
trader_4

On 17 Jan 2015, trader_4 wrote in alt.home.repair:

My HD seemed to be really pushing the Nests hard - there were standing displays all over the store, not just near the other thermostats. I read up on them a bit, and I see lots of complaints and comments about that that give me the feeling that their technology isn't fully refined or reliable. They sure do look hi-tech and cool, but you pay extra for the look.

I didn't notice any Nest knock-offs, but I'm not surprised.

Reply to
Nil

IDK if Nest has fixed their problems, but from what I saw a year or more ago, it looked like a disaster to me. They rely on power stealing, which apparently led them to put FETS in the base or something instead of using a relay. I saw lots of reports of them shorting out, with the heat or AC running non-stop. A lot of other problems too. Even worse, from what I read, there is no real definition of how it works, what it does, how it learns, etc. A lot of people saying that it was doing strange things that they had no control over. My conclusion was that it looked nice, but I wouldn't want one.

Reply to
trader_4

trader_4 wrote: "- show quoted text - IDK if Nest has fixed their problems, but from what I saw a year or more ago, it looked like a disaster to me. They rely on power stealing, which apparently led them to put FETS in the base or something instead of using a relay. I saw lots of reports of them shorting out, with the heat or AC running non-stop. A lot of other problems too. Even worse, from what I read, there is no real definition of how it works, what it does, how it learns, etc. A lot of people saying that it was doing strange things that they had no control over. My conclusion was that it looked nice, but I wouldn't want one. "

I rest my case. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

At that price I'm not going to find out either. With two zones that would be $560. Do you really need all the fancy features? I'd rather put that money towards the oil bill.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On 17 Jan 2015, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in alt.home.repair:

You have a case?