Small area texturing

I have an article about 3 feet in diameter made of fiberboard. It has a faux pigskin (like a football) texture on the exposed surface, and is painted flat black. It has gotten cracked here and there around the outer rim.

I have successfully repaired the cracks and other dings with fiberglass and am now trying to restore the finish. After patching, I've applied primer using a spray can. The problem is getting a uniform texture. Right now, the repaired areas are smooth, presenting a noticeable contrast to the original pigskin elsewhere. It would be nice to restore the pigskin, but I would settle for something like a modest orange peel. I tried a spray can texturing product, but could not even get it to come out of the can. When I returned it to Home Depot the fellow in Paints said, "Yeah, people bring those back all the time. They don't work very good."

So, what are my options here? I saw another brand of spray can texture at Ace, but am dubious. Thick paint of some kind applied with a long knap roller? I'm not sure I want to invest in professional texturing equipment.

TIA

Ed

Reply to
Jag Man

Problem solved. I went to Ace Hardware and got a spray can texturing product made by Homax Products. It worked great. Very close to the original pigskin.

Ed

Reply to
Jag Man