Situation advice requested

Follow up ...

Ok, so I took the advice on here and called the company, explained what happened and ... it basically rolled off as "gee, that's a shame, it sounds like my guys might have unplugged it and didn't tell me before I left."

I was hopeful for at least some sort of discussion, but it wasn't there.

A couple of thoughts on the matter ...

Generally speaking, it was a perfect storm of sorts ... the GC's laborers came in to get the old equipment out and likely unplugged the freezer for their tools. When the main work was done, they left and probably didn't remember even unplugging the thing, even with a label that says "do not unplug" on the box, as there is a switch in the outlet box (it's 3 outlets and a switch).

I've had some contractors come in and clean up very well, or label things as they were moved or touched, and in this case, there was not as much attention to detail.

To clarify some of what was in some of the posts, this did not happen "weeks ago," it was one week ... how often does one go into a chest freezer for bulk items a week before a major holiday? In our case, we didn't cook much knowing that we would be doing so for the holiday, so it was the first time we noticed. I guess one could argue that we were "stupid" for not ensuring that our appliance was still plugged in, but after 7 years of having no such issues with little children around, it didn't occur to us that 30yo's would do such a thing or not at least ask whether or not something was critical when they unplugged it.

The freezer was not moved (as one post discussed the circumstance).

For the post about "on first knowledge," I wanted to ask for information from those likely experienced with the issue first. I heard about it when my wife called yesterday. As soon I was home, I posted and we cleaned out the bad food. Maybe I'm naive there too, as it was after 5pm and I waited until the next business day rather than bother the guy after-hours ... I at least try to be polite.

With regard to "observing the work" posts ... I've read in the past where some contractors do not mind, but some hate being observed. I don't like people looking over my shoulder, so I tend to let "pros" be "pros." I guess that I'm naive there too.

With regard to the "I do my own jobs" or the "I watch every step my contractor makes," posts, I don't know what to say ... yeah, maybe you know every electrical code, housing code, and have the time to watch every step a guy takes and every move he makes, but for people who are hiring people because that is not our expertise, we expect that licensing and certifications and experience and referrals hedge that bet because we pay for that in the rates people charge. Otherwise, you're arguing against the industry to not trust any of them and to "do it yourself" (basically).

To benick ... yeah, I learned a lesson, but to suggest that I should have posted *before* something happened is just ridiculous. When I go to a mechanic, I don't ask "should I ask whether you'll put the car back together after your guys are done replacing the part that is not functioning properly?" It was a negligent issue on their part ... I work on networks, but if someone asks me to help with their home PC or network and I agree, I don't just go delete files off their system and then say, "tough sh*t, you should have told me not to do that" after the fact.

To that, I accept part of the blame as well. Apparenlty, I should have taken pictures before/after, checked that every piece of the room was back in its spot before/after, stood there watch every move the guys made and somehow have known that they installed the equipment properly, to code, and set it up to the optimal configuration.

I don't know ... somehow I think that most contractors do not want a homeowner looking over their shoulder every moment, asking about how/ why at every turn. But I guess that's what it takes.

Lesson learned ... I am eating the cost and am thankful for the replies. I will get a freezer therm for the future and look at things differently going forward.

Thank you.

Reply to
tom_sawyer70

Yeah, and listen to long winded stories like this, instead of just advice on what to do now. Which is what you asked for.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Thus, the OP queried WHAT DO I DO NOW?

Reply to
Steve B

It's unfair for you to eat the total cost. I'd file a complaint with your local agency, and let them give you a third binding opinion. As with some complaints, you may strike out there, too, but it doesn't cost anything, and I think you should have gotten at least a better response or attitude from your phone call.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

What was the food worth. He has liability insurance, but since he doesnt seem to care send him a bill of what you think the food costs to replace. Maybe include a note on your conversation with him and that he at least must share in your loss. Id record any future conversations with him. Bad thing is now I wonder how he will handle your warranty work you paid for already. He knows one bad refrence is worse for him than 100 good ones, so give him time to think about your bill of food cost that you lost.

Reply to
ransley

wrote

Hi Tom. It's been a long thread and I've read much but not all oif it. Here's my overall take. Yes, I watch contractors but i don't hang over them every second. Last time one worked in the garage (where my freezer is) I warned them that if they needed to unplug it, fine but to let me know (so I'd know to check it). They did infact need the outlet and warned me.

Perhaps it was the mere mention of it, or that I opened it and pulled out food which I fixed for the guys, but they remembered to plug it back in. I checked though.

In my case, I'd have noticed it sooner but it may have been too late if in high summer. I know I would have called and left a message right away (as I was cleaning it out) but I wouldnt have truely expected more than the fellow to feel bad and warn his crew to avoid future occurances. At most I would have expected a partial renumeration in the form of some sort of 'money off' for a future job. Sort of like 'hey, I know we were looking at that fence part, let me give you a 100$ off on that offer I left you'.

PS: I go in my chest freezer almost daily and definately would when I have contractors. I'm known locally by them as a good cook and I always feed the guys. You'd be amazed at how they react when they sniff the fresh bread baking (which they know is for them) mixed with the rotisserie chicken they helped me lift out the day before for their lunch, and the lentil-tomato-peanut stew for the vegetarian which makes them all a nice side dish. Thats just one sample meal, lots of others.

Reply to
cshenk

Cooking for the guys, providing some soft drinks, or water definitely will get you some points.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I should have been clearer..(anyone surprised?) What I meant by checking here for advice first is a question like this...Gonna have *whatever* done and was wondering what to look out for , things I should know or do ? Personal experiences , ect....Thank you for any help....Instead you expect Murphy's Law does not apply to you in your perfect world....You should have gotten off your ass and made sure things were right after they left and before the check was sent....That does not require you hover over them all day though sticking your head in once or twice and asking how things are going and offering a coffee or cold drink would be nice......And yes I do ask in alt. Chevy Trucks about whatever repair I need on my truck before taking it in whenever possible...Common sense.....Knowledge is POWER....Another lesson fer ya....Merry Christmas....Time for pie....Mmmmm...

Reply to
benick

Nobody is holding a gun to yer head...Don't read it..Don't want to have a conversation don't reply....Having to tell you that is telling...

Reply to
benick

ote in message

Even an honest contractor may balk at paying these damages. After all he may not be that sure as you are that it was his fault or so sure about the cost of the damages. Did somone unplug it or did it come out from vibration of someone hammering? What happened may be more of a mystery to him than it is you. I have a friend who owned a building supply business who lost $50,000 worth of paint because a contractor installing an alarm system accidentally unplugged an electric heater that my friend relied upon to keep the paint from freezing in the winter. The contractor had no prior knowledge of the possible results of his actions. My friend tried to sue for damages. He lost because he had taken insufficnt care to insure that something like this couldnt happen, had not cautioned the contractor about the importance of the heater and he had no proof that the contractor had caused the problem.

Jimmie

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

In the case of the carpet installation, if the contract did not call for the room to be empty then the contractor would be the party responsible for doing what ever is necessary to install the carpet, and to do the job in a workmen like manner, so the contractor would be liable for the damage.

An exception might be if the furniture was moved to the driveway and the neighbor kid's baseball did the damage, but then the neighbor would be responsible for the kid, not the contractor.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

You seem to make a lot of assumptions about me, my post or the circumstances. I never claimed to be part of a perfect world ... if nothing else, as being one in Info Tech, Murphy's Law exists in my world almost every day ... and I live in a house that has provided more than its share of "opportunities" in the 7 years I've lived here. Some were absolutely amazing, but would not have been visible when I bought the house unless I would have taken out the walls. I might be inexperienced and naive in home projects, but it's not an expectation of perfection.

I was around, but not hovering ... and yes, honestly, it didn't cross my mind at the time to inspect what was left or changed. My fault. But I've had various workers in the house from different companies to help with things and such a thing had not happened before. This was a first, but to assume that I didn't "get off my ass" is ... I don't know, do you normally write in such a tone or mean for it to come across as crass as it did given a bad assumption?

I was around and asked if they needed anything, had any questions, if they needed assistance or directions to stores in the area, etc.

Another bad assumption ... the wife always offers coffee, water, soda, or something to munch on.

I normally ask ahead of time too ... but really, you expect someone to ask about whether or not things are plugged in or unplugged, who doesn't work in such a business or never had such a thing happen?

I mean, the list would be a book ...

- ask about whether they're going to be on time or not

- ask about inclimate weather policies

- ask about whether they're going to take their shoes/boots off

- ask about whether they lay down padding, or some type of protection for the floors

- ask about whether they bring their own tools

- ask about whether they need a dolley

- ask about whether the people coming can lift the equipment they're bringing

- ask about whether the equipment will be sent ahead of time

- ask about whether the equipment needs to be kept in a locked area

- ask about whether they need moving equipment

- ask about whether they use blankets or how they handle wall/door dings

- ask about whether they will bring their own water, or need cups, faucets, etc.

- ask about bathroom facilities

- ask about whether they swear and could they not in front of the children

- ask about whether they will park in the driveway or on the street and/or what to do if they tear up some grass on the neighbor's lawn

- ask about whether they need a coat rack

- ask about whether they need help with equipment removal

- ask about disposal issues

- ask about electrical requirements (ahead of time)

- ask about ...

Some of these are legit questions, but to ask about every possible scenario that might happen is a stretch.

I agree with the premise that knowledge is power, but that is why professionals are hired, right? The act of being in another's house as a contractor who does this type of work all the time and unplugging something in a utility room, or at least asking if it's all right, is more in line with "common sense," than the client who is supposedly hiring expertise and does not do this all the time. "Common sense" is learned, so in a particular area of expertise, the guy doing it every day (you would hope) would be the wiser of the two parties for this type of situation. Apparently not, but that's not a "common sense" issue ... it's a lack of professionalism on the part of the contractor and inexperience on the part of the client.

It apparently comes down to the fact that I did not think that something so fundamental would have been an issue. Lesson learned, and I'm footing the bill. You apparently have gained experience without lessons learned and like to call people out for their inexperience, and then, ironically, state that *they* are the ones expecting perfection?! It must be nice to be flawless that way.

Merry Christmas to you too.

Reply to
tom_sawyer70

"Steve B" wrote

Grin, yeah but that's just normal 'southern hospitality' to me. You've seen me post some of the spreads for the guys that I've cooked up. LOL, the fence guy when he scheduled knows us real well and said he'd be there with 3 hungry workers at about noon. Don't scoff, he'd done other stuff here with his crew and I seem to get money off (just a little) and special care (quite a lot!) with the work in return for a good feed bag. Grin, it's one of them 'quiet deals' you just don't mention but I *like* to cook and they know it. It would be different if I was a bad cook I am sure! As it is, they take doggie bags home of fresh biscuits and things like that.

Reply to
cshenk

Now you're going to the extreme...If you had asked the question I suggested you ask before you had workers in you would have gotten responses like my experiences I already posted...

.When I had my garage and addition built I went around every day

See what I mean....Others would have posted their experiences both good and bad as well...Armed with that knowledge your freezer would still be full....Like I'm armed with the likely repair and cost when I take my truck to the shop by asking those who have BTDT or work on cars for a living in the Chevy group....Sorry for the hard time but on the contractor side of the coin it's a constant battle with a sue happy what can I get for free world..As I've said , I have been blamed for things that I didn't do quite a few times so it's a touchy subject....Again , sorry if I was a little hard on ya....Have you checked with your insurance agent ??? Maybe your homeowners will cover it....

Reply to
benick

A year ago I had my boiler replaced. I never thought to check to see if a non visible plug was removed from a receptical. If you asked 500 people in the same situation, I doubt you't find many that would think to check the freezer. It is very easy for us to sit at the keyboard and make a judement, but reality is, few would think to look behind thier appliances.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You are entirely right. There is nothing you could write that is worth my time in reading.

Good bye.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Bye Bye....Take your marbles and go home...Poor sport...LOL...

Reply to
benick

I *assumed* it was behind the freezer as well as most are but his wasn't for some reason... I missed it in his OP too...Here it is..

"chest freezer in our utility room and discovered that the power cord that runs from the chest freezer to the outlet set near the boiler had been unplugged."

I guess it must have been on an extension cord which explains ALOT...The guys probably didn't even know they un-plugged the freezer and BEING RIGHT NEXT TO THE BOILER you should have known they would use that outlet....Also must have been REALLY easy to see it unplugged....I wonder how many times he stood there admiring his new boiler and didn't notice the cord was unplugged ???? It makes it TOTALLY the OP's fault ....And to think I was starting to feel bad for beating up on him a little...Not any more...He was a dumbass....LOL....

When I had a freezer years ago the outlet was behind it and I had a little clamp that held it plugged in..The clamp was held on by the screw in the faceplate...Impossible to un-plug without removing the screw or breaking it....

Reply to
benick

Now children, behave, give back his marbles and apologize. You know it's against the rules to use a bowling ball.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

There was a story floating around about a hospital in Eastern Europe that was inexplicably losing patients on life support. The doctors were attending to a patient in the cursed ward one morning when a cleaning woman walked in, unplugged the respirator and plugged in her vacuum cleaner. It turns out that this was her habit and she would dutifully plug back in the disabled medical equipment when she was through cleaning. I wonder how long the doctors stood there with their mouths open in stunned silence before taking action.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas