Sink Venting

Does a vent always have to run uphill?

I'm trying to move a sink. Moving the drain is easy since the basement is unfinished but to reroute the vent I'll have to notch a half dozen load bearing 2x4 studs or come up with another idea.

What if I ran the sink vent up (6"+ above the rim of the sink basin), turned around, back down the wall, under the floor, and then connected to the old vent stack?

In concept, this should work fine. There will be air admitted into the drain just downstream of the trap. It will have to draw the air up a few feet but that shouldn't matter. No water will ever get into the vent.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

I understand in most areas you can use a vent that goes down before going back up, however, water will get in it from condensation and any that works its way down from rain. These type of vents normally need to have the low portion connected to the waste pipe so as to allow any water collected there to drain away.

Reply to
EXT