Sink to water hose converter

The recent heavy snows around here have caused some ice damming water penetration to occur. As such I need to relieve as much of the excess snow and ice from the roof as possible.

I'll be looking for an adapter to connect a typical garden hose to a bathroom sink faucet. Is this a standard size? I so what should I ask for?

FWIW I need to spray copious amounts of warm water to first melt the snow then to open up the gutters and eventually the downspouts.

Project next Spring will be to install some deicing cables.

Reply to
Jim

Jim.. I have lived where winter was 9 months of the year. Save your money on heat cables. They don't cure the problem (I know, I tried them) I finally removed shingle roofing and put on ProPanel metal roofing, problem cured. W W

Reply to
Warren Weber

Lav faucets have an aerator threaded into the spout. Unfortunately, there are half a dozen different thread standards:-( There are adapters to switch between some of them, and there are adapters to go to a dishwasher supply, but I wouldn't swear that there is one for garden hose size. In any event, it could be a real chasing around exercise.

If at all possible, I would try to run a hose from the laundry connection. And use a good hose; the hot water will burst a cheapie hose or pull the end fittings off.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

if nothing better found, the gizmo used to fill/drain waterbeds converts a bath faucet to garden hose threads...

Reply to
Reed

A sink faucet to hose adapter? They exist, at least for a kitchen sink, I've got one of those. Makes it easy to fill buckets, in sink too shallow to hold it.

Reply to
John Hines

Remove the airiator from the bathroom faucet and bring it with you to a good hardware store. Plan B would be to buy a new supply tube and the fittings needed to go directly from the angle stop in the bathroom to the required fittings to get your hose connected.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

My laundry sink has one of these built in, but it's easy enough to get an adapter. The adapters work OK except there is really not enough threads on them so it's best to get the adapter and a 90 degree metal bend after that, then stick the hose on the end of that.

Reply to
scott_z500

Hook it to the hot water side of your laundry box.

Reply to
Matt

Found an adapter at the local hardware store this morning. Will consider the thought about the threads. It is rather short.

Reply to
Jim

I considered doing just that. But that is on the first floor and the skylight for access to the roof is on the second floor. Gut feeling was don't do it. Paid off too. Purchased a premium all rubber hose certified for hot water. Left it semi coiled laying in the bathtub. Turns out this hose was defective. Something constricted the flow which in turn created a "bubble" which ultimately split. Fortunately the water was constrained to within the tub surround. Didn't do much for the pressure I needed to melt ice with though.

Reply to
Jim

Would you elaborate some? I was under the impression that if the gutters could drain ice damming would be prevented. Are you implying the damming simply starts higher up on the roof? Other problems?

Reply to
Jim

GOOGLE: ice + dams

341,000 hits.

Gutters aren't the only issue. A "hot" roof will melt snow and it will re-freeze when it hits a "cold" section of roof or, in the gutter.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Unscrew the aireator from the sink, take it to the hardware store and match up the threads. They do have adapters. Usually there will be a display with samples of all the threads you can test yours on.

Reply to
Greg