sink drain size question?

I need to connect the drains on two sinks in a circa 1965 home and I've measured the existing drain pipe and the threads are 1 3/4" diameter. Not being a plumber I thought the standard was 1 1/4 or

1 1/2. Can someone advise whether connection to a 1 3/4 drain pipe is doable with parts available from big box HI centers?

On one of the drains the pipe coming out of the wall does a 90 turn down where the threads are. On the other the pipe is straight out from the wall and the threads are facing you as you look in.

Please advise if there is an adapter required???

I'm good with a wrench but too cheap to call a plumber to connect a couple of pipes.

Thanks

Reply to
r.mariotti

Just take the parts you have and go to the store and see what's available. There are always flexible reducers (Fernco) available for almost any size conversion if you can't do it with hard piping.

Reply to
hrhofmann

You probably have 1 1/2. It is not the thread diameter but the internal diameter of the pipe. Then it is not exactly 1 1/2.

Reply to
Pat

Do you have two pipes, one drain for each sink, or is one a vent to the roof?

Reply to
hrhofmann

+1

Just take something for size or measure the inside diameter and take a couple of pics. Go to HD or the local plumbing supply and 95% probability they will have it.

Reply to
trader4

The ONLY pipe(s) I have are coming out of the wall and is the drain. I talked to a plumber today and found out that the 1 3/4 external diameter is actually a 1 1/2 INTERNAL diameter. I thank Pat for mentioning that. I did take photos and will visit the big box tomorrow.

Thanks all.

Reply to
r.mariotti