single band resistor??

A friend is trying to identify a device on a circuit board. It is identified as a resistor (R34) and looks like a resistor, but only has one band. If that band was black I;d say it was a "zero ohm_ reistor

- aka a "jumper" but this is a single blue band at the one end. Looks like about a 1/2 watt.

There are actually 2 of them on the board. It is the probe board from an Amprobe ACD14 Plus which has gone out of calibration. No schematics are available -and apparently no parts either.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

sci.electronics.repair

As to parts, you can grind up walnut shells and mix it with some copper dust and press it into the shape of a resistor. I have no idea what its value will turn out to be, but it's a good activity for a rainy weekend.

Reply to
micky

Any signs from the traces on the board that it's in series with the current leads? It may be some proprietary high precision, low ohm resistance to generate a voltage to measure the current?

Reply to
trader_4

- google search only < I'm not versed in electronics >

- is it related to a zener diode - see link - and poorly labeled ? .. click on the thumbnail photo to enlarge

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Most definitrely NOT a zener, Not at akk simuikar to the one shown.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Mabee it;s green.

See it at

Clare Snyder

The band looks green to me. Off hand I would say it is a 5 ohm resistor and looks like it could be some sort of wire wound. It may even be a

1/2 ohm resistor. There seems to be 2 of them. Has he tried measuring them ?
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

They are also right at the input terminal of that current measuring probe, which is the question I raised earlier. Clare won't see it, he ignores me, so his loss. I suggested that they might be special precision resistors that convert the current to voltage for measurement. Now that we have a pic, I agree they look like they could be wirewound. Another question, what's the point here? Just curiousity? Did he measure the resistance? I'd expect it's very low.

Another thing, there is a gold band resistor in between. I wonder if those two are low ohm wirewound, maybe all three are in parallel and the gold band one is hand selected at assembly to adjust and set the exact resistance for the combo of all three?

Reply to
trader_4

Isn't there any schematic that can be looked at????

Reply to
hrhofmann

"No schematics are available -and apparently no parts either."

Reply to
trader_4

Not that I have found It is an Amprobe ACD14plus. If you can find a schematic, I'd be gratefull (and so would my friend Kevin)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

use an ohmmeter to compare them

makolber